• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leman trade guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskey

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for someone that makes a top notch reproduction of a Leman trade gun, in flintlock.
I looked at TVMs but they seem to be a bit generic and not a real copy of an old piece.

Assuming you are asking about smoothbore NW trade guns, and not trade rifles.......
Why not go with a North Star West? They are GOOD copies of the Barnett guns which were the most widely traded NW trade guns during the RMFT era up through 1840.
None of the American makers of smoothbore NW guns sold much to the RMFT suppliers until after 1840 and the Leman is a real late comer to the RMFT. Leman did not go into business until 1834, had no contracts with anyone until 1837 (a Gov't contract), and did not have a contract to the western fur trade until 1841....
Did some Lemans show up west prior to 1840, possibly, but so far no documenatation if that is important to you.

Jack brooks in Denver seems to have a good reputation for building the Leman trade rifle. I met him and held one of them at a show a few years back.

Very nice, but...... the accurately built replicas are very small in the buttplate and have a rather short LOP. Did not fit me at all. I'm 6'2" with proportional arms, etc and it was just too small.

Tell TVM what characteristics or features you want. They'll probably be glad to make it the way you want it.

whiskey said:
I am looking for someone that makes a top notch reproduction of a Leman trade gun, in flintlock.
I looked at TVMs but they seem to be a bit generic and not a real copy of an old piece.

If you want a Rocky Mountain era trade rifle a JJ Henry is probably a better choice. More typical and I am sure a better quality rifle back in the day.
The Leman's are pretty miserable to shoot in calibers over 45.

Dan

The Leman's are pretty miserable to shoot in calibers over 45.

Never shot one but having shouldered a few, would be inclined to agree. At one point I thought a Leman in .58 would be the cat's meow for hunting the high country. Glad I had a chance to hold a few before launching one! :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back