• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leman Rifle - sort of...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After you've inlet the lock, you can reshape the lock panel--it's a bit large now. Look at the photo of the original Leman for some ideas.

I just printed out "Old40 Rod's" picture. It'll go up in the workshop, and that will be my target.

Thanks,

WindLaker

I'm back, gentlemen...

After about a month of work & family obligations, and a week in Cozumel, I'm back to work on my project. Back to the head-scratching.

I have both panels sized to the lock, and they are just right. Now comes the lock inletting, and more questions.

To inlet the lock so that the bolster hits the barrel, I'll need to inlet probably the lock plate almost 3/16". Doing that, the outside of the lock plate will be well below the face of the lock panel. Which in turn means I'll be re-doing all the work I just did to re-shape the panels, to bring them down to the proper height. :cursing: I don't like doing things over, but it looks like I'd better get used to it on this project. I think I also have start thinking a few steps ahead before starting one part. Anyway...

Going thru Mike Brooks tutorial and The Gunsmith of G. County, they both inlet the lock first, then bring all the wood down to the appropriate levels.

I'm thinking this the "best" way to do it, right? I should NOT re-shape the panels then inlet the lock, right? As I'm writing this, I believe I'm on the right track, but it seems like I'm going to have to take off a LOT of wood. Is that normal on a stock/project like I'm doing?

Thanks again,

WindLaker

Leave the extra thickness of wood until you have finished seating the lockplate. You are going to make slips, and mistakes while you inlet that lockplate, and leaving the extra wood to take these errors will allow you to reduce the sideplates to the correct dimension and give you a more pleasing, and less damaged wood border to the lock.

WindLaker:
Yes, you discovered the reason the lock panels are not shaped until the lockplate is fully inletted. :grin:
I also agree with Paul that leaving the lockplate area oversize until you finally get around to the finish shaping of the wood is a good idea.

That large area (that you no longer have) is useful for resting the stock on while doing other things where holding the stock down is needed.

You will probably end up haveing to resize the panels down to match the lock again.

Anyway, live and learn, as they say. :thumbsup:

Thank you gentlemen for your input.

It's off to the workshop with the inletting tools.

WindLaker

Back