• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left or Right???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Riegl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
:bow: The idiot's delight---something that I rarely do is change the sights on any guns. However, I want to change over the sights on my old GPR back to primitive----from the rear of the gun----in which direction do I remove the front and rear sights from their dovetails. Would I also replace the newer sights in the same direction?????? :hmm: :hatsoff:

I have no knowledge of the GPR, but on guns I build up, for consistancy I fit, install and remove the sights from the lock side.

Drive the sight in from right to left, drive it out from left to right. That is while looking at the rifle from a normal shooting position.

Old Salt

Assuming muzzleloaders use the same system as modern guns, in from the right, and out to the right. I use this system on the muzzleloader kits I've completed just because it's how I was taught. Seems to work so far.

:grin: Thanks you answered my question---kind of what I thought,but it pays to check. :hatsoff:

It doesn't really matter, dovetails are supposed to be parallel, so that you can adjust the sight either right or left. That being said, a lot of people like to do it one way or another. Most of our brains are programed right to left, but then there are those darn lefthanders that think they are the only ones in their right mind :rotf:
Bill

Back