• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left handed shooting a right handed gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preflint

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife and kid are starting to develop an intrest in muzzleloaders, however they are both left handed and I'm right handed, with my gun being a side lock on the right side.

I can't imagine them really being able to shoot my gun, am I stuck buying two of each gun if they really get into it?

Well if you consider that when I shoot my SxS 20 gauge shotgun..., when I shoot the left barrel, the lock is on the left side, the same side as my face. Same situation if your wife and offspring used my shotgun and fired the right barrel, the lock for the right barrel is on the right side the same side as their face.

No real difference if they shoot a right-locked gun or rifle with single barrel. Not a problem at all.

LD

To fully appreciate the "no problem," try shooting a left-handed muzzleloader right handed. Handing my lefties to my righty buddies is my favorite sport, especially my flinters! Can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. :rotf:

But with some practice they get better at it. And that's the message for you with your kith and kin. Start them with very small charges from a rest and go slow. And do it with a capper rather than a flinter. They'll come around.

But above all else, MAKE SHOOTING GLASSES MANDATORY. Ask me how I know.

To fully appreciate the "no problem," try shooting a left-handed muzzleloader right handed. Handing my lefties to my righty buddies is my favorite sport, especially my flinters! Can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside

So how did one do it with a double barreled shotgun? How do I do it now? So not so precise with a shotgun as a rifle, then how would one do it with a Pedersoli, caplock side by side rifle?

:haha:

LD

The only doubles I've shot with cast-off always had it for a righty shooter. Straight stocks no problem, but that castoff will eat your lunch with recoil, even if you don't get an extra heaping helping of spit and fragments in your face.

Too bad we're across the continent. I'd let you shoot my light lefty 62 cal flinter with it's preferred charge of 120 grains of 2f (yeah, it's one of those beloved slow twist barrels) and lots of castoff AND a deep crescent butt.

Until you've tried it, you're only speculating about it "not making a difference." It's zackly the same for lefties with right handed guns our doubles unless the stocks are straight. My sweet little 62 has brought tears to the eyes of every single righty that's ever shot it. And not a one asked for a second shot. :rotf:

I'm terminally left-handed, can't even pick my nose right-hand. all my guns are right-hand. other than the "Always Wear Safety Glasses" advice above I would also recommend long sleeves, especially when shootin' from a bench.

One downsize of the lefty /righty things, I have seen this done twice, was If the Flinter goes off before fully shouldered the hot vent Gas is directed towards the Face or Chest area. Was at a shoot where a Ball was dropped in a Box and you had to shoulder the Gun and shoot before it exits. Shooter, in a hurry, accidentally hit the set trigger before it was fully shouldered. Result was a Black Powdered checkered Chest ! Other occasion was My Son had His Flinter`s hammer back in anticipation of a shot at an approaching Deer . Shot didn`t happen and when He lowered the Hammer it slipped off His Thumb and ignited the prime. this also resulted in a nice burnt Hole in His Vest !!But, accidents happen, I guess ??

Thinking about it, might just get a cheap single shot pistol or a revolver. That way it's not too expensive if intrest don't hold and I can still use it without too much issue.

Besides good excuse to get started with BP pistols, which I have no experience with yet.

I'd get a lefty if you want the gals to get bit by the black powder bug. I am right handed and left eyed and shoot 24 of 25 right handed muzzle loaders just fine. The lefty feels "weird" :youcrazy: If they start out with a lefty they may be better able to get to know the gun and you can still shoot it np.

A revolver would be the way to go, either hand is the same with them. I'd get an 1851 .36 if twas me :idunno:

Get them an underhammer muzzleloader, good for right or left hand

William Alexander

In a cap lock, left or right is not totally critical but as said wear glasses and long sleeves. In a Flintlock, get the proper gun.

I get so tired of people saying make them shoot right handed guns. I did that for years when I was young because the only lefties were levers or guns I just could not afford. As soon as Savage came out with the left hand bolt in the late 60s I got one. ALL of my big game rifles are now LH, including the 460 Weatherby and all my muzzle loaders, cap or Flint.

A properly made left hand cap or Flint gun is a far nicer gun to shoot than a right handed one. The other thing to remember is the strong side of the action on a gun needs to protect your face and head. Having the weak side directly in line with your face is bad mojo.

Tinker2 said:

William Alexander
I'll add "... if they wear a full sleeved shirt or jacket."

Shooting a underhammer with bare arms is asking for problems with cap fragments causing great mischief.

Tinker2 said:

William Alexander

Never heard of an under hammer muzzleloader, are they hard to find, also are they in any shape or form historical?

es they are historic. they are not too hard to find.

what is your location ? if close i could let you try out my under hammer.

Numrich Arms made underhammer rifles back in the late 1950's thru the 1970's.

They were called Hopkins & Allen underhammer rifles.

I'm not sure that "Hopkins & Allen" ever made one but they did buy out a company called Bacon Mfg. Co. which did make under-hammer guns.

Ethan Allen's company also made under-hammer guns in the 1830's and 1840's.
(Ethan Allen the gun-maker is not the same Ethan Allen who gained fame during the AWI.)

A few very special "under-hammer" style flintlocks are also known to exist.

billinghurst also made underhammers and afew other north east gun makers from 1830 to 1860.

I shoot left hand. If it is a stock like a TC Renegade or New Englander should be no problem with their straight sides. If it has a stock like a Lyman GPR with the cheek swell might be a little different. All of my guns are left handed. I got interested on Sidelocks, shooting a friend of mine's right handed gun. I have a friend of mine who shoots a right hand TC and he is left handed. DANNY

Back