• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left Hand FdC Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chamber's sells a left hand flintlock, with an unfinished plate. You could file it to your spec's by copying a RH maybe...I've done that before to fit a gun with no lock....Tom

Chamber's sells a left hand flintlock, with an unfinished plate. You could file it to your spec's by copying a RH maybe...I've done that before to fit a gun with no lock....Tom
Here's another option. To get one left-handed to the 6" length I needed, I bought a Caywood LH round-faced trade lock and hand filed the plate flat, or to appear as flat. This one was built by Mike Rowe when he was working for Danny and I have found his locks to be among the best I've ever used, lefty or not.

As shown below, the faceted pan is not completed, but you get the general idea.

Modified-Caywood-Lock_zps996370d1.jpg

Lock01_zps2250792e.jpg

Could not agree more on the Caywood, really is an exceptional lock. A call to Caywood would confirm if Mike is still building them.

IMG_5178_zps5056b462.jpg

ApprenticeBuilder said:
Could not agree more on the Caywood, really is an exceptional lock. A call to Caywood would confirm if Mike is still building them.
Hey, that's what mine started as!

Last I heard, Mike doesn't work there anymore, but not sure the real story.

It seems to me that most of the early French locks used an unbridled type pan.
You might be able to use an L&R early classic lock.
L&R's part number is 2185 for a lefty.

It's not exactly right, but close.

Back