• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Hammer Stalls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um. Then I am positive I have never used a hammer stall and I see that puts me in with the majority of poll takers. :rotf:

I rely on treating my flintlocks like like they could go off unexpectedly and at any moment and that has worked well so far. When I pull a ball I dump the prime, move the frizzen fully forward and lower the cock over the pan. :wink:

AND...your contribution to the discussion was a civil one, which fits with the majority of those who decided to reply...
:wink:

Lost credibility, :hmm:

I don't hunt in packs, if I miss an oppurtunity on an animal because I had to prime the rifle, so be it, is it really that great a loss, not for me.

Makes no difference if I'm at the range, oh wait I have access to a private range 5 miles away. I never leave my flinter unattended once loaded, I get on with the task at hand.

Our club forbids moving between stations with a loaded firearm, I never prime until I am at the line ready to shoot, its as safe as I can be.

That device is totaly and utterly useless to me.

I don't recall ever coming across them until today. When I got into black powder I had no one in my area to teach me.
Really don't know what to think, they remind me of the socks girls put on their golf clubs.
Running around at full cock, won't that weaken the hammer spring over time?

", I was under the very wrong impression that hammerstalls were used in conjunction with half cock"

I only use one at the half cock position, I do not carry a gun at full cock unless about to shoot, that is not a thing I would recommend with or without a stall as they are not positive anymore than any "safety" good gun sense is the best safety there is I look at the stall as just an extra measure, at times I do not use it, much depends on terrain/weather and other variables, I would not recommend it as a crutch to lean on while avoiding all sensible safety precautions.Each has to weigh the worth of this devoce on their own set of standards and expectations, I would not lookdown on any one for which ever choice they make

Thanks tg. I feel the same way. I wouldn't want to carry my gun at full cock, either way. I suppose the hammerstall could snag on brush, and be pulled off. I just prefer to guard my lock carefully when carrying my gun, while keeping the muzzle in a safe direction. I have nothing against hammerstalls, but the leather ones just won't work for me on my guns when half cocked.

They are not meant for running around with a gun fully cocked. They are an added safety should the gun slip off the half cock position. Like the saying, "going off half cocked". Especially comforting when loading a musket per military style of putting cartridge down the bore AFTER primming.

BigDogg said:
I suppose the hammerstall could snag on brush, and be pulled off.

That is why i don't use them any more. It happened to me several years ago when i was on a spot and stalk. When i noticed the hammerstall had come off and the rifle at full cock, :shocked2: :shocked2:

Firelock66 said:
They are not meant for running around with a gun fully cocked. They are an added safety should the gun slip off the half cock position. Like the saying, "going off half cocked". Especially comforting when loading a musket per military style of putting cartridge down the bore AFTER primming.

Understand that, but as I said, the leather ones won't work with my guns in the half cock position. Others have stated that they use their hammerstalls in the full cock position. I don't load military style, so I prime after the main charge is loaded. I think we all agree that safe gun handling practices are the best means of avoiding calamity.
:v

Firelock66 said:
leather ones won't work with my guns in the half cock position.

I make my hammer stalls out of lead.

Now we can discuss which is better, leather or lead?

All responses to the actual poll questions are appreciated.
Overall results seem to be a step up from a similar poll I saw a few years ago, and based only on this small sample sized poll, more people apparently using Hammer Stalls now.
IIRC it was close to a 25/75 split back then compared to essentially a 50/50 split today.

I have stalls on all of my flintlocks and son has one on his as well. They were used in the American military and I've read accounts were soldiers were charged $1.00 to $2.00 each for loosing them. The actual cost of making them was .12 but the freight cost and paperwork took up the remainder of the .88 to $1.88. That is in the documents of the quartermaster reports just before the mexican war and during see how inflation goes during a conflict.

The hammer stall is protection against catastrophic failure of the sear spring.
As safety officer for my militia unit, I conducte the safety inspection for all muskets. This includes pulling the trigger in the half cock position to check the sear spring. At a recent event each unit was to fire volley in succession.On the second volley a sear spring failed resulting in a premature discharge. If a hammer stall had been used there would have been no discharge.
For the record, our make ready sequence is full cock then remove hammer stall. If the flint falls there will be no spark.
The offender was in a regular army unit. Very embarrassing for the Brits.

My farthing's worth

Larry

Back