• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leading in a smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a TC new englander and I am having trouble getting the leading out. I tried everything and it's still streaked inside the barrel and patches dirty. I pump it with a jag, patch, bucket and water to clean it. I then to hoppes 9 and ballistol and scrubbed the barrel with a bore brush, a tornado brush and wrapped bronze wool around a brush and scrubbed it for over an hour the patches are still DIRTY. What should I use specifically for leading? I don't have any trouble with my pedersoli. I don't think the Thompson center is chrome lined.

Kleenbore makes a lead removal solution that works really well,,, they even sell it already absorbed into cloth that you can cut into patches.

A copper "chore boy" could be broken down and wrapped onto a jag or undersized brush to scrub with if need be.

They used to sell a device that was like a jag that held a piece of wire screen that form fit around it when you pushed it into the bore for removing lead from unmentionable pistol barrels. Maybe you can find a pic of one online and create something similar?

Once out, maybe polish the heck out of the bore to try to reduce the problem in the future?

Boiling water. Gets it to hot to touch. The lead will come straight out.
IMG_20230521_185442.jpg
IMG_20230521_190105.jpg

Sorry to read you are having that issue with your NE. I use the same steps cleaning mine, except I use hot tap water and a shot of Dawn. I have a recipe around here somewhere that I used to clean lead from my 45 LC unmentionable when I used to shoot a lot of cast bullets. I'll dig it up.

I got dirty patches for a few days soaking ballistol with the tc when I first got it...

I ran a dozen well oiled patches at a time then let that soak overnight.. I don't know what it was but it was coming out...

Boiling hot water and soap is the best I get them.

Wrap some fine steel wool around a jag or make it fit tight on a brush. Work it hard and then inspect for lead in the wool. If you don't see lead, your patches may be showing actual barrel steel.

Example; JB bore paste will turn dark gray to black when worked in a perfectly clean bore . It's barrel steel.

Another option is an electronic bore cleaner.

Wrap some fine steel wool around a jag or make it fit tight on a brush. Work it hard and then inspect for lead in the wool. If you don't see lead, your patches may be showing actual barrel steel.

Example; JB bore paste will turn dark gray to black when worked in a perfectly clean bore . It's barrel steel.

Another option is an electronic bore cleaner.
My pedersoli barrels are mirror smoothe. Fir this gun I have taken a carbon arrow and but my bore brush on the end and then attach it to my drill. Scrub them put a ballistol patch on a plbore mop and it's dark and shiny. I still see streaks in my barrel. I never thought to look for any lead but when I had my choke in my hand I saw it. I put that bore brush on my drill for a few seconds and it was good as new. The barrel, not so much.

I'd I use dawn dish soap and water with bore brush and jag and patch it is clean. If I use ballistol or hoppes, it is black as soot

Birchwood Casey Lead Remover Cloth... it works so easy, just a few strokes and lead comes right out.

I've read where the user soaked a patch with Krol and scrubbed the bore then let it sit for some amount of time (don't remember how long) then using steel wool or "chore boy" wrapped around a wire brush scrubbed out the loosened lead particles. I never tried it so this method could be a bunch of BS but it's worth a try:dunno:.

for really bad bore leading or when all else fails make a 50/50 mix of distilled vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Degrease the bore with dawn dish soap. Stick a toothpick into the nipple or touch hole. Fill the bore with the acetate solution (it works faster hot) and let stand for a half hour, pour mixture out of the bore into a sealable container such as a cleaned out plastic quart engine oil bottle. Brush out and patch out the bore. If any lead remains repeat the process until clean. Most of the crud the brush and patch removes will be tin, antimony, and other trace metals that were alloyed in the lead and were left behind as dust when the lead dissolved. Rinse the barrel with water and oil it per your usual method. Save the used mixture as it can be used many times before becoming ineffective. The mixture becomes lead acetate as it dissolves the lead into the solution, therefore the used solution is now toxic and should be labeled accordingly. Do not leave the solution in the barrel for hours on end as it will eventually rust the bore. When the solution "wears out" pour it into a gallon jug and neutralize it with enough baking soda that it just stops fizzing and let it settle overnight. The lead will fall out of the solution in the form of a off white sludge (lead dioxide O2Pb, AKA white lead, and some sodium acetate). Most of the liquid can then be poured off down the drain as it is no longer toxic. The sludge and remaining water can be poured into an old dead car battery for recycling, or put in paint cans and eventually recycled when your locality hosts such an event. Don't let the stuff dry out as it is a rather combustible oxidizer in that form.

for really bad bore leading or when all else fails make a 50/50 mix of distilled vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Degrease the bore with dawn dish soap. Stick a toothpick into the nipple or touch hole. Fill the bore with the acetate solution (it works faster hot) and let stand for a half hour, pour mixture out of the bore into a sealable container such as a cleaned out plastic quart engine oil bottle. Brush out and patch out the bore. If any lead remains repeat the process until clean. Most of the crud the brush and patch removes will be tin, antimony, and other trace metals that were alloyed in the lead and were left behind as dust when the lead dissolved. Rinse the barrel with water and oil it per your usual method. Save the used mixture as it can be used many times before becoming ineffective. The mixture becomes lead acetate as it dissolves the lead into the solution, therefore the used solution is now toxic and should be labeled accordingly. Do not leave the solution in the barrel for hours on end as it will eventually rust the bore. When the solution "wears out" pour it into a gallon jug and neutralize it with enough baking soda that it just stops fizzing and let it settle overnight. The lead will fall out of the solution in the form of a off white sludge (lead dioxide O2Pb, AKA white lead, and some sodium acetate). Most of the liquid can then be poured off down the drain as it is no longer toxic. The sludge and remaining water can be poured into an old dead car battery for recycling, or put in paint cans and eventually recycled when your locality hosts such an event. Don't let the stuff dry out as it is a rather combustible oxidizer in that form.
Your kidding right.....
Just boil the freaking kettle.....

I gots a lil lead in the smoothbore barrel but there ain’t no way i’m putting an oxidizer/acid in my barrel period. I’ll stick with the expert Brit as he most likely has shot a tractor trailers load of shot over the years!

I think it is just the barrel itself. The lead that is in the choke tube comes out with a couple passes of the bore brush. The barrel in this gun just doesn't compare to a pedersoli and this Thompson center and the pedersoli are the only muzzleloading smoothbores I have ever shot or owned. I got some jb bore compound and put it on a patch wrapped around a brush. I made a cleaning rod
To use on the drill made from a carbon arrow. It did make the barrel alot
Shinier, but it will never be chrome lined. I've just accepted it for who it is.

As you can see, here is one a member has posted for sale....it doesn't have the choke tube's and he claims it's unfired. In this photo you can see what could appear to be lead streaks when the only other thing I can compare it to is a mirror finish pedersoli

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240401_230043_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240401_230043_Chrome.jpg
    906.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240401_230446_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240401_230446_Chrome.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 0
maybe not chrome lined...

I'll take a better look at mine after work.

it wasn't chromed looking no... it looked clean though..

The pedersoli yea chrome

Can't find much searching but found

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402_131922_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_131922_Google.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 0
Back