• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does any body out there have a simple to make lead shot ,I have hoarded close to 200 lbs of lead when then phone co here changed there connections up in the power lines .I’ve looked at those lead shot makers but they are to exspensive for me ,any help would be appreciated
thankyou in advance.

You are talking about small shot, bird shot - not a larger round ball or bullet?

In the past, people made shot in two ways that I know of;
1. Cast a long, thin strip of lead. Cut it into tiny pieces. Roll the pieces around in a metal container to round off the edges.
2. Mount a metal colander (strainer) up high. Place a barrel of water under the strainer. Pour molten lead into the strainer. It will pass through the strainer and drop into the water, thus making small round shot. (hot lead striking water is a dangerous procedure)

Never tried it myself.

I would use a table saw to cut many .100 x .100 grooves in a piece of oak.

Then pour lead into the grooves.

After it hardens remove and snip into little pieces.

Toss in some antimony, 3%-5%, so the shot is hardened a bit.

You guys give me a chuckle. Molten lead doesn't work like you think.

What you want to do is make a dripper with low head pressure. Too much head pressure and the droplet will be like BB sized by the time it bloops out. Keeping the heat constant is also key, you can't pour shot through a cold screen and not expect it to freeze solid. You need antimony and a little tin (but not too much tin!) to harden the shot. Arsenic is a grain refiner and helps the droplets become spherical as they fall, but only if they fall a long way. Falling a couple of feet isn't enough for arsenic to work unless the shot is rolling down a ramp first.

Try this: Cut the top half off of a soda can and poke a few holes in a line with a sharpened needle as small as you can make them just above the curve in the bottom, where the side is still thin. Set it on a hot plate and melt some clip-on wheelweight lead or commercial cast bullet lead in the can. A propane torch helps get it going. Have some sheet metal handy to make ramps and a pan of water set up so when the lead starts to dribble out of the holes and fall on the ramp it can roll down and quench in the water. Use locking pliers to tilt the can to stop the flow or keep it going at the right pressure to feed the pin holes. This will make somewhere around #4-6 shot. For smaller, you need orifices and controlled heat.

Manufacturing shot calls for a "shot tower". The only one I saw was in PA many, many years ago. The tower was about 50' tall. I was about 9.
It was explained to me that molten lead was poured through a metal screen with many appropriately-sized holes drilled into it.

The molten lead would drip through the holes and fall the long distance into the water, forming itself into a ball as it travelled through the air, then into the water.

Oh - forgot that I saw another "shot tower" in Blighty when I was about 7. That shot tower was about 80-100' tall. Thinking it was near Winchester, which is SW of London.

I'm in O-hi-ho. But have plenty of both, thanks. About 35 lb of lead bricks from some science experiment, and made a bunch of leather "sand" bags from the 25 lb of 7 1/2 birdshot I bought years ago. They make great sandbags for sighting in, or holding down things.
I did have to saw up some of the lead bricks so pieces could fit in the lead melt pot - wound up using a handsaw, making 1 lb blocks.
Just turned 78, think I've got a life-time supply.

Back