• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead for the lazy...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxgrampa

45 Cal.
Reaction score
greetings all.

over on rotometals .com
they have pure lead at 1.75 per pound with free shipping on 50# boxes. not a bad price if you don't have a close sorce..

this is virgin pure lead. it's not a foundry mix of scrap.

if you also cast for bpcr, check out their alloy mix. 1/30, 1/25 etc..

all pb and sn is virgin..

think i'll get the 50# of pure..

..ttfn..grampa..

ps... sign up for their internet specials. sometimes another 10-15% off..

Thanks for the info. I currently have a good supply of plummers lead on hand, but ya never know may need this site later on.

I look for lead sheeting from roofers and bath/shower remodelers. it's the soft stuff. might have some crud on it but for free usually can't beat it.

In what size(s) does it come in?

The reason that I ask, I once bought 50 pounds, it was in one single ingot. Kind of tought to butcher, can be done with learning some new words.

Thanks for the insight.

RDE

greetings rich,

it comes in all sizes from 4-5# 'plugs' to a 48000# truck load :grin:

the shooters 50# box is in 4-5# 'plugs' as they call them.

have about a ton of lead here in diff mixes. the pure i have is scrap from room sheeting and other scraps etc. it's supposed to be pure but, you never can tell what the original manufactorer used.

think it would be nice to have about 50# of pure virgin just for balls.

i would have to live in the only state that requires sales tax :( .

..ttfn..grampa..

When I pour conicals I want the same hardness of lead every time I make a bullet. That is why I got 150 pounds of the Rotometal lead. Rotometal started the 50 pounds free shipping for the guys on this site. That was dang nice of them I think. Some guys get lead cheeper but I will stick with the Virgin stuff. Ron

xxgrampa,

"it comes in all sizes from 4-5# 'plugs' to a 48000# truck load"

48000# reminds me of my Step-Mother, whom I really admire and cherish. She was my father's Office Manager and has always been somewhat of a free-spirit.

A vendor called her one day, trying to sell her copier paper. She had nothing else to do, so it's play time.

She asked about the different discounts depending on how much was ordered. She finally got to the "rail-car load discount" and the salesman made her a quote and was excited over the large order.

She said that sounds good, let me have two (2) rail-car loads as I quitting these "XCdfrrcvjkise" at the end of the day and this will give them something to do, unload it and pay for it since I will be gone when it arrives and the payment is due.

The saleman hung up on her, so much for cheap fun.

I tried to figure how many balls would come from 48,000 pounds of lead times, 7,000 grains per pound, divided by 131 grains or so for 45 caliber balls and my calculator died.

Sigh,

Thanks for the information, I need some lead and free shipping is a help.

RDE

Thanks, that depends on if you have kids or not and if you have free loading friends.

Wonder if they will fit in my closet after being cast?

Geez, how much powder is that going to be at 50 grains per ball.

Thanks

RDE

That works out to 17,954,195,000 gr or 18,320 lbs give or take a gr or 2.

Gottta quit this, calc is smokin bad

Jac S. Muell

:surrender:

Richard Eames said:
RDE

That's 18,327.75 pounds of powder, granulation not specified. Got room for 9.16 tons of BP?? :rotf: :surrender:

pappa bear said:
Richard Eames said:
RDE

That's 18,327.75 pounds of powder, granulation not specified. Got room for 9.16 tons of BP?? :rotf: :surrender:

:hmm: ......do ya think you'd be gettin a visit from men in black suits if'n ya tried to order that much powder? :shocked2: :haha:

Bald Mtn Man said:
pappa bear said:
Richard Eames said:
RDE

:hmm: ......do ya think you'd be gettin a visit from men in black suits if'n ya tried to order that much powder? :shocked2: :haha:

They can just check on that while they are there about the 24 tons of lead... :hmm:

Back