• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead flux

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himem777

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there something I can use old timey style to flux my lead before pouring into ingots.

If you're using pure soft lead you do not need to flux at all. Fluxing is used with lead ALLOYS to keep the hardening metals from separating from the mix. For lead all you need to do is stir periodically and scoop out the dross.

If you forget and let scrap lead sit in a hot pot, sometimes you will have mystery metal form up on the top. Skim it off and save it for fun projects.

Thanks guys thats what I need to know. It was the mystery metal on top that was the problem.

Roamer said:
Beeswax, just a little chuck will do it

Beeswax can and will catch fire and make some smoke. Be sure to be ventilated! And remember, a little dab will do ya.

If you don't have plain beeswax handy just cut a little piece of one of your wife's candles. It'll do the job too. Even if the lead is pure a little bit will pull any dirt or other gunk that may be stuck to it to the top. Just stir it in real good.

Matchlock72,
I keep my beeswax for other lubing/sealing duties.
Also, I do not use my wifes candles (BIG mistake)
besides, they all smell funny.
Although I do use candle wax, I get some of my own from the "Dollar" stores.A few last a long time.
JDD

The good news is all the candles in the house are mine.... That being said are not toilet sealing rings made of beeswax.

Anything that turns to carbon can be used, old motor oil, dry wood stick, dry sawdust etc.....

Actually I prefer that the flux catches fire. That way it doesn't smoke. Just got to be careful that you don't burn the hair off of your hands if you're stirring when it fires up!

Most of my soft lead cme from either church windows or X-ray room sheets.

I have fluxed with BeesWax, Sawdust, and Marvelux.

I prefer the Marvelux. Whenever I flux with the other items and then do a final fluxing with Marvelux I always get more impurities out of the lead.

When I use Marvelux first I normally do not get much out of the lead when fluxing with the other items. This tells me that Marvelux is doing a better job.

I guess my soft lead is not as good as what some guys are buying. I definitely need to flux my soft lead. Fluxing takes out impurities.

I realize a little bit of dirt really doesn't hurt that much. But I just like to have my lead good and clean. Tom.

The toilet bowl rings used to be beeswax, But I believe there was something else as a softener added so they did'nt crumble. I have'nt had to install any new ones for quite some years. (knocking on wood now)but I'd bet they are mostly synthetic now.
If I get into Ace hardware today, I"ll read some labels.
Jon D

You are correct on the toilet rings. They are no longer beeswax.
I use an old chunk of candle for fluxing. It doesn't flame if you stir it into the lead right away instead of pooling on top.

That mystery metal that floats to the top is oxidized lead. The higher casting temps of pure lead will increase the oxidizing. If you're using a bottom pour pot you can mostly ignore it. If you use a dippper it will get in the way and needs to be skimmed off. GW

As per toilet bowl rings,
Looked at Ace Hardware, they had 3 different types,
1.Reinforced wax
2.Reinforced wax w/ plastic insert
3.Wax free
None said beeswax, none felt like beeswax, didn't sniff em.
Wouldn't use em fer anything but a crapper.
Jon D

Lead alloys are almost impossible to seperate once mixed. They simply do not seperate without a very expensive chemical process. Fluxing reduces the surface tension of lead or lead alloys, so that impurities can float to the top and be skimmed off and discarded.

Back