• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead ball over 6 shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TNGhost said:
colorado clyde said:
Shot and ball loads kick like a mule....and never produced any visual advantage when I tested them on paper.

Why would a combination load kick any harder than a single ball or homogeneous shot load of the same weight?

You're forgetting a vital parameter: how big was the mule :rotf:

I have never hunted hogs so take this for what it's worth, which may be nothing but, a couple other options come to mind.
1. Don't load either shot or ball, just powder and OP wad until you see whichever critter you want to shoot. Of course, you'd miss out on a few squirrels.
2. Maybe throw a few large buckshot down on top of the #6 shot instead of a ball. You could increase the payload by increments rather than the whole weight of a ball. You'd definitely want to check the pattern.

I like the buck shot idea. Quick to load and I would only shoot at 20yds or less.

Sometimes I carry shot loads rolled like paper cartridges except no powder.....fired one without tearing it open first and it hit the target like a slug....

The buckshot and birdshot combination is my standard field load. It I shoot shot, its normally a square load of 70grains. I will load 3 00buckshot and then the balance of 7.5 shot, plus a little extra. It shoots a good pattern at 20 yards and the 3 buckshots are normally all within 6" of center. There's no significant extra kick.That's with homemade paper pulp wads above and below.

Back