• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Latest bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Frog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A while back I posted a bag I had recently made

my finished bag

Original Post asking for guidance

I asked for comments on how to improve my bags
Artificer & Brown Bear were extremely helpful

I have done a couple of bags since then and each time I try to identify an area I can improve on

Brass & Patch knife was owners choice
I am hoping to do one with Iron & no patch knife
someday lol

I wanted to share my latest bag.
Still looking for ways to improve so comments will be appreciated

Simerly_zpstuxu3lqh.jpg

Simerly%202_zpsignw11g4.jpg

IMG_20161201_123738571_zps7ay46j9g.jpg

IMG_20161201_123809556_zpsbf03bzqa.jpg

IMG_20161201_123819868_HDR_zpsluzxn9ed.jpg

I'm no expert, but I think it looks pretty darn good. I like the "depth" look of the leather where it almost looks like cherry wood.

Is that double cyma reversa, on about the center of the flap, decorative stitching or another piece of leather added on?

Gus

The front piece is 3 pieces of leather
The bottom half, the top half, and the edging
The decorative stitching sews the top and bottom pieces together

Thank you for the explanation. I wasn't sure if I was seeing an optical illusion. Any reason for the two piece flap or just artistic expression/whimsy?

Your edging looks VERY nice, BTW.

Gus

I kept it because I liked the finished look of it

my original pattern called for it that way and it was supposed to be from an original bag

but as my skills grew my pattern changed somewhat to improve the bag. ( things like the edging and the welts)

I can also do one with a cut out easily and not have to change my pattern much

You know I can't thank you enough

There is always room for improvement but I am at a place where I am fairly happy with my bags.

It was you, Brown Bear, and Spotted Bull that were kind enough to encourage me, willing to offer criticism and wise enough to challenge me without offending me.

My bags took a big step forward when I tried to implement each piece of advice

Thank you!

Excellent design and workmanship. Bet you can't stop with this one! :rotf:

You have very good reasons to keep them coming. :thumbsup:

I assumed you were hand stitching but your work is very good.

I have hand stitched leather for almost 25 years, but recently purchased a speedy stitcher, have not tried it yet.

Do you use a speedy stitcher on your bags?

thanks

fleener

Bullfrog said:
my hands are pretty sore after I finish a bag

Dunno if this is the case for you, but I used to have a heck of a time with that. But I found that the more work I put into getting my awls really sharp and highly polished, the easier the work- both the piercing and the sewing. I also adjust the width of my awls to match the size thread I'm using.

Whole nuther topic, but awl sharpening (and choice) is worthy.

Mostly I bring all that up to encourage you to keep on doing what you're doing. You're on a winning course. :thumbsup:

No I have never used a speedy stitcher
just two needles on a piece of thread

I do use a tool to mark out my stitches
Then I am very careful punching out the hole

Also I tighten my stitches slowly so that the line pulls tight exactly where I want it

Back