• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lace-on slings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJasper

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a lace-on, all leather sling that works well on a half stock flintlock?

I know that Cabelas carries two different styles.

I'm just wondering if the view of the front sight is sometimes obstructed by the piece of leather that goes around the barrel.

Thanks.

I made my own, but it doesn't block the front sight. I'm sure the ones you can buy won't either.

I'm real fond of this one. It's easy on and off, but really secure. I can barely see over the barrel strap on some rifles, not on others. I like low sights, but I doubt the strap would be an issue on standard TC or Lyman factory sights, which tend to be kinda high.

OneGun,
I have 2 slings here, one by TC the other unknown. The TC laces over the butt plate and loops over the barrel and the other slips onto the butt plate and loops over the barrel. both are leather. I will make one, or both, available. PM me for price etc.
Mark

A simple length of deer hide the proper length with a loop on both ends works quite well and comes on and off easily if need be.This one has a woven wool leg tie between the leather loops

sling.jpg

My front sight is very tall, so the one you mentioned might do the trick. Now that you mention it...having a sling that is easy on and easy off is important for my situation.

Thank you everyone for all the tips.

Simple, but effective. I like that more and more as I get older. I may forego the Cabela's version that requires you to lace up a "boot" that fits around the buttstock.

Hogghead said:
Brown bear does that one slide at all on the barrel. Tom.

Not while you're carrying it over your shoulder, but it's pretty free to move when you've got the gun horizontal. I've never had one tend to slide off the butt while horizontal, so it works great.

Latest posts

Back