• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

KIK vs. GOEX

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greysmoke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen some studies comparing KIK and GOEX but I'd like to hear some hands-on experience from shooters. My interest is in ignition, handling, fouling, accuracy, load difference, 2F vs 3F,etc.?? for these two powders in a .50 cal flinter.

Well, I've been shooting KIK for about 4 years now, and have found it to be alot easier to clean up than Goex. It tends to burn more complete with less residue. Also I have better groups with it, using 70grns of 3fff vs the same of Goex. I have'nt shot 2ff of either. This is with a 33 inch .50cal. 7/8 inch, 1 in 72 twist Green Mountain Barrel. It has a sharper "Crack!" and a sharper recoil than Goex, almost like Swiss, which I have shot also. It is also cheaper than Goex. I buy it by the 10lbs. $17.10 for KIK vs $19 plus for Goex. You did'nt say what kind of barrel you have or what twist it is which will make a differance on how well your rifle will shoot it. I use a .490 rb, .22 pillow ticking patch with Mink oil or Hoppe's No.9 patch lube and a 1/8th over powder wad. I hope this helps.

I shoot both and find little difference. The Kik did give less deviation shooting through a crony when I first won some and tested some out of curosity. :idunno:

I'm just half-way through my first pound of KIK 2F after previously using Goex. So far I find the shooting characteristics very similar. I do think there is less fowling and it cleans up faster/easier than Goex. I do notice more "dust" in it, but it doesn't seem to have an adverse effect.

I think KIK is stronger and cleaner than Goex. Have only used the 3f. I get the same results in several rifles. Nothing wrong with Goex. But I use KIK mostly now. Larry

I chronographed KIK 2f and Goex express and they were within 2fps of each other.
KIK is much cleaner than anything Goex put out until now with the Olde Eynsford. If you try Olde e and are shooting 3f KIK or goex now, go with the 2f and you'll probably still have to cut the charge a bit to keep velocity and poi the same.

My local sporting goods store no longer carries KIK. I miss KIK powder. I may have to break down and order some.

No stores near me sell any black powder at all. I have read these posts with interest as I am about to order som of the new Goex. I can not help but wonder if varies about as much from lot to lot as it does brand to brand. at Geaf the new Goex O'l is only a dollar more a pound so I'm going to try it. I just hope it stays around a while. Geo. T.

KIK received loads of help from Goex on manufacturing in the past, not sure how much they receive currently. Their manufacturing process is about the same. KIK does state they use buckthorn alder.
540703_4795093077127_858072974_n.jpg

Goex refuses to tell anything about the product other than 'made in the US' and citing 'legal liability' and 'trade secret' claims as to the reason for the refusal. Yet every single other powder company proudly list that information. The same is said about grain sizes. They are reported to be using maple charcoal.
376125_4795091637091_1176945588_n.jpg

Essentially what you are asking is to compare similar manufacturing process of a lower density powder using different charcoal.

George when you get that Olde Eynford you'll probably want to drop your powder charge 5-10 grs from your measure setting with regular goex or KIK.
This new stuff is pretty energetic. A friend of mine reported that from his 54 flintgun leaving the measure set at 50 grs, the 2f Eysnford was about 130 ft faster than the regular goex 2f

I think KIK is a bit stronger than Goex. :idunno: So there may not be much difference. Just my opinion. Larry

KIK is stouter than regular goex and the same as Goex express. But the Eynsford out runs them both,and equals or exceeds Swiss, in cartridge gun tests I and others have done with it.
I hope to get some tests done with my flintgun in mid June.

I am just curious?

Where does Graf 2Fg or 3Fg fit in this comparison?

Does anybody have any experience here?

I am shooting Graf 3Fg in my pistols with good results....

graf & sons should be the same as schuetzen - has the same label on side of the can, the container is the same, it says imported by Schuetzen & made by Wano Schwarzpulver in Germany

Chris S. said:
I am just curious?

Where does Graf 2Fg or 3Fg fit in this comparison?

Does anybody have any experience here?

I am shooting Graf 3Fg in my pistols with good results....
Grafs is relabled Schuetzen. It like Swiss is finer granulation than Goex. So if you're used to shooting regular Goex 3f, then you'll want Schuetzen 2f. Goex 2f is closer to the 1.5 f size.

Back