• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kibler kits are great, precisely made. Even some parts fit better than advertised or in the instructions. I am slowly building a .58 cal. Colonial. It is the standard maple and is nicely figured. I am modifying it to resemble an Andreas Albrecht style early Pennsylvania rifle gun.

Kibler kits are great, precisely made. Even some parts fit better than advertised or in the instructions. I am slowly building a .58 cal. Colonial. It is the standard maple and is nicely figured. I am modifying it to resemble an Andreas Albrecht style early Pennsylvania rifle gun.
Good luck with your build. They are truly awesome kits. I can't wait to get a colonial kit.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. But to each his own.
Keys are a good bit more work to fit correctly but I understand they were also used on So. Mtn Rifles. I'm glad I fit them to mine as they add a good bit of character in my opinion. I did not put a patch box on so felt the keys would add a nice touch that would add to the overall appeal that not having a patch box might detract from. I really like the utilitarian/rugged look of iron furniture as opposed to silver and brass inlays on these rifles.

Keys are a good bit more work to fit correctly but I understand they were also used on So. Mtn Rifles. I'm glad I fit them to mine as they add a good bit of character in my opinion. I did not put a patch box on so felt the keys would add a nice touch that would add to the overall appeal that not having a patch box might detract from. I really like the utilitarian/rugged look of iron furniture as opposed to silver and brass inlays on these rifles.
I would like to see some pictures of it.

I’m going to order a .36 SMR in cherry once I get back to the US after my “overseas vacation” courtesy of Uncle Sam! I’m going to request his new CNC’d Ketland lock and his triggers. :)
IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1702.JPG

I’m going to order a .36 SMR in cherry once I get back to the US after my “overseas vacation” courtesy of Uncle Sam! I’m going to request his new CNC’d Ketland lock and his triggers. :)
You don't have a choice. That's what he's sending with the kits. He's no longer using the chambers locks. They're excellent excellent locks though.

Wonder if the chambers late ketland would fit the current inlet for the CNC lock?
He had mentioned that in one of his videos and he said no it would not. But I'll be honest with you there is nothing wrong with his locks they're good freaking locks. It's a roller lock so it's a fast lock.

Jim has hinted at another style long gun being offered in the future. I'd love to see him offer a Fowler or trade gun. Any one have any Intel to share?

You need to square the inside corners of inlets, especially a tiny bit of inletting on the breech plug and lock, and fine finish inletting the buttplate. I’d say you could get by with one 1/8” or 3/16” chisel. You have to file slight drafts in some furniture. You have to drill your lugs and stuff but the stock is predrilled. You need to draw file the barrel (optional). You need to file sprues and fine finish filing the furniture. Jim says the pile of wood you need to take off will fit on a quarter. That’s about right. It’s not quite sand and stain but you can finish one in a few weeks if you also brown the metal and take your time.

Jim has a series of videos on YouTube.
My Colonial rifle's buttplate needed no extra inletting, nor did the barrel breech, or lock. The sideplate was predrilled as were most holes. The lockplate was taped, also. The triggerguard did need some fitting. The wooden patchbox lid needed cut to length and fitted. I drawfiled the barrel. The most work was cleaning up the brass furniture.

My Colonial rifle's buttplate needed no extra inletting, nor did the barrel breech, or lock. The sideplate was predrilled as were most holes. The lockplate was taped, also. The triggerguard did need some fitting. The wooden patchbox lid needed cut to length and fitted. I drawfiled the barrel. The most work was cleaning up the brass furniture.

That's great to hear. Jim said he was tightening things up a bit since I bought my last one. Makes it easy on us...

Back