• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky gunbuilders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGlaza78

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy all!

I just joined the board and have been skulking around for tips and guidance on my next front-stuffer purchase. In addition to wanting to do some work on thinning the furbearing population of Northern Kentucky, I also do a little F&I reenacting with Spikeman's Company of Rangers. After reading the comments and logic of the posters on this forum, I've pretty well decided to go with a Jim Chambers PA fowler kit and find someone here in the Commonwealth to build for me. I tried to build a Track of the Wolf Fusil de Chasse several years ago and botched it up fairly well, so I had a feller from Narragansett Arms finish it for me. He's since disappeared. Do you folks know of any quality gunbuilders in the KY, OH, IN area? I'd like to keep it within a couple hundred miles so I can keep in contact easily. Any and all suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

And, again, Howdy!

Jeff Glaza
From along the banks of the Licking River in the county named for Kentucky's greatest woodsman, Simon Kenton

I don't know how far you are from Cross Plains Tenn. but Tip Curtis sells a nice rifle in the white. The gun is so complete, you could use it without finishing, however, the barrel needs a little filing, and the stock needs final sanding, and staining. But it would be easy to finish or you could pay someone to finish it. There are several pictures of his rifles in the photo section, including my Late Va. rifle.

I googled Visalia, Kentucky. It's just south of Cincinnati. I'm across the river in Georgetown, Ohio which is not far from you.

Jeff, I would give Jim Chambers a call (or Barbie).

Jim mentioned a few months back that he has a builder that was putting together some rifles "in the white" for him.

Don't have any other info other than that.

I do know that Mike Brooks is an avid Chambers kit builder (also does nice work himself from scratch).

You are looking at $900 plus the kit cost for an assembled in the white from Mike, $1100 plus the kit cost for a finished rifle - plus about a year wait.

(I believe that you would find that his rates are about "par" for a kit build. You can start "adding on extra's" if you want something more than the standard kit but that would really start stretching the wallet)

You can check it out here (Mike Brooks)

Tip is just south of the Ky/Tn border in cross plains. I65 would have you the in 2-3 hrs...WELL worth the drive...call 1st, he goes out to shows.
Think of TOTW x10 in supplies :shocked2:
You'll buy SOMETHING so bring cash.....

:rotf:
Marc n tomtom

Back