• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ken Netting rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gentleman who sold me this rifle last month said that Ken Netting made the rifle for him in 1987 as a custom build.
Did I misunderstand what he said?

I looked into the Edward Marshall Indian Walk transitional rifle, and this rifle looks just like it. Thank you!
No, you didn't misunderstand. BTW, that rifle looks nothing like the Edward marshal rifle.

Expanding on Mike’s comment above, it’s a very nice rifle. It has a wooden patchbox and a carving design similar to the Edward Marshall rifle and many other Pennsylvania long rifles from Christian’s Spring and Lancaster. But it’s a creative custom build with the extremely rare feature of iron furniture. Something a customer wanted, is my guess. The architecture is not like the Marshall rifle.

Here is a Chambers Marshall kit assembled by Mike Gahagan. Jim C. said he took the measurements for the kit off the original rifle at the museum. The profile looks nothing like your rifle. However, yours is a nicely built rifle.

DSCF1878.JPGDSCF1886.JPG

Last edited:
Expanding on Mike’s comment above, it’s a very nice rifle. It has a wooden patchbox and a carving design similar to the Edward Marshall rifle and many other Pennsylvania long rifles from Christian’s Spring and Lancaster. But it’s a creative custom build with the extremely rare feature of iron furniture. Something a customer wanted, is my guess. The architecture is not like the Marshall rifle.

After more research, I agree with you

You did well. Like others, I don't attribute anything "Virginia" to the rifle. These days Ken is getting around 3k (give or take) for a rifle or smoothbore depending on the style & extras. He's one of the most talented, humble people I've ever met and loves to talk about flintlocks. I'll bet if you'd give him a call he would be able to tell you more about it. He's kept pretty good records of all his builds (I know Mike Brooks you hate the term......couldn't resist LMAO!).

Congratulations on getting a fine rifle.

Ken Netting builds his rifles or fowlers to the correct architecture. If this one doesn’t match, he built it to the buyers specs. He owns many originals and is meticulous in accuracy. You did very well on it!

Back