• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Joyce, Roberta, and Denise at the Friendship Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2_Tall said:
Ok then your not a member so why the hell do you care.

THINK YOU NEED TO REREAD MY POST ABOVE.

The Winter/Western Shoot was always in the past an opportunity for those of us who shot black powder, to buy supplies. It was also the opportunity to visit the gun makers hall, and see some really neat stuff.

The funny thing is as the shoot got smaller, and smaller, and smaller over the years. Fewer, and fewer trader came because it was just not worth it to them to travel to Phoenix to loose money.

Those Traders in Phoenix, like their counter parts in Friendship don't do this for fun, many of them it is their livelihood, and a good percentage of annual revenues. I understand now a lot of the Friendship Trader pack up, after the first weekend of the Spring, and Summer Shoot as the size of the crowd is dying. Also those traders will & do take money from the anyone want to buy their wears.

That is part of the reason some of us care, because we lost our local one week a year black powder supply market.

BTW I was an NMLRA Member for many years in the 1970's, dropped out, gave it another chance, and saw ZERO REASON to belong any longer after one final experience.

I am still very active in shooting, still do a lot of volunteer work, and keep bust without any involvement in the NMLRA.

The funny thing is I still have a few friends who living in Arizona and are die hard Winter National Shooters, and NMLRA Member.

They always talk about all the promises the NMLRA Director make to the members at the Saturday Night Western Membership Meeting, and laugh as most know the promises never materialize into any change.

Well I feel my point is still valid not trying to cause issues on the forum just expressing my personal opionion and you likewise. Best of luck to ya !! :surrender:

2 tall,

penny pincher is well known to the BOD and Past Presidents, they laugh about him as do the local NMLRA Phoenix folks, he is well known.

He speaks without "factual" knowledge about the WNS and powder.

His last dues were paid by a family member, he is to cheap to pay his own way, thus the alias "penny pincher.

You pay to shop at Sam's, no free ride from the NMLRA, does he deserve a free ride, I think not.

Maybe he will go away and stop the hate to the NMLRA to which he does not belong nor pay dues to.

Richard Eames said:
2 tall,

penny pincher is well known to the BOD and Past Presidents, they laugh about him as do the local NMLRA Phoenix folks, he is well known.

He speaks without "factual" knowledge about the WNS and powder.

His last dues were paid by a family member, he is to cheap to pay his own way, thus the alias "penny pincher.

You pay to shop at Sam's, no free ride from the NMLRA, does he deserve a free ride, I think not.

Maybe he will go away and stop the hate to the NMLRA to which he does not belong nor pay dues to.

Richard is full of hot air, as he can not rebut truth with facts, so he attacks the messenger because he don't like the message.

Sorry Richard but facts, and history are just that facts, and history.

My alias says I am not stupid with money. Maybe that is why I got to retire young.

Ok boys now I want a nice clean fight punching below the belt is authorized and encouraged as is eye gouges, eye pokes, biting, and kicking. Ohh and I am not super thrifty with money but I am able to retire next year at the age of 38 gotta love government jobs.

2_Tall said:
Ok boys now I want a nice clean fight punching below the belt is authorized and encouraged as is eye gouges, eye pokes, biting, and kicking. Ohh and I am not super thrifty with money but I am able to retire next year at the age of 38 gotta love government jobs.

There is no fighting here, their are point, and counter points being expressed.

As the last few years the only thing the NMLRA WNS mean was the SASS Winter Range was a week earlier, and IMHO a better event to take the kids to to enjoy some living history.

The NMLRA Event was only gone to to see a few old friends, (like Don the Powder man from Arkansas) and buy some stuff that can not normally be found in the area I live Phoenix AZ.

As most of the muzzleloading out west is "muzzle loading hunting" season, and as hard as it is to get drawn for a Elk, Deer. or Jalvina, etc., in AZ many hunters are now buying a muzzle loader for the second chance. With muzzle loading hunting only season. Most are IN-LINES, as it is an easier sale because most inline looks like traditional bolt action rifles to the uneducated buyer.

So as I said the WNS has for me like many who still shoot traditional muzzle loader, it has become a week or better part of the week where we head out to Ben Avery to do some shopping hoping trader would come with item we wanted to buy.

When I first went out the the Winter Shoot years ago, I was ah struck with the potential the shoot had as far as it was kind of a Friendship West Event with 400 Plus Shoot, almost 100 Traders, a Primitive Camp bursting almost a the seems.

The even never grew past it glory days back has, and has got smaller, and smaller each year. Whit less Shooter, Trader, and Spectators. For many reason that have been stated before, and address in letter to the NMLRA BOD Members, and e-mail by NMLRA Members and former Members. I honestly think the NMLRA's focus is selling registration, and target, and that is that.

I will predict in the net 10 years the NMLRA will either shut down the Winter Shoot in Phoenix, or move it to some place like New Mexico, or ? closer to the NMLRA membership base in the states around Indiana were most of the NMLRA BOD Member reside, and call home.

I understand your point but the reason why the attendance is on a downward spiral is many things. 1. the economy blows and people cant afford to take time off work and drive to events like they once could. ( I don't drive more than 2 hours away unless car pooling) 2. Primitive muzzleloading is a dying art and will surge again it comes and goes. 3. Out east where I am from originally Michigan to be exact is the home roots of muzzeloading in the country it has the history and mystic and quite frankly the population and interest to host larger events. 4. The average age of shooters at the events is getting older on average each year and less new people taking their place, as people age sleeping in a lean-too on the ground at 70-80 likely isn't much fun anymore. Their eye sight is getting bad and tougher to shoot. And all the equipment they haul around is heavy and a burden on them over time to maintain. Have you check the attendance of the Friendship shoot and see what the trends for that event have been attendance wise. To many Friendship is the Olympics of muzzleloading that's why it get and fosters more attention. Just my take on the matter.

2_Tall said:
I understand your point but the reason why the attendance is on a downward spiral is many things. 1. the economy blows and people cant afford to take time off work and drive to events like they once could. ( I don't drive more than 2 hours away unless car pooling) 2. Primitive muzzleloading is a dying art and will surge again it comes and goes. 3. Out east where I am from originally Michigan to be exact is the home roots of muzzeloading in the country it has the history and mystic and quite frankly the population and interest to host larger events. 4. The average age of shooters at the events is getting older on average each year and less new people taking their place, as people age sleeping in a lean-too on the ground at 70-80 likely isn't much fun anymore. Their eye sight is getting bad and tougher to shoot. And all the equipment they haul around is heavy and a burden on them over time to maintain. Have you check the attendance of the Friendship shoot and see what the trends for that event have been attendance wise. To many Friendship is the Olympics of muzzleloading that's why it get and fosters more attention. Just my take on the matter.

Those are the problems members are elected to the NMLRA BOD to fix, and find solution for. One solution that failed, and cost the association many many hundreds of thousands of dollars was the past hiring of (2) different EVP's to deal with many of the item you mentioned above.

Did the NMLRA get any return on the expenditure of money spent recruiting, salaries', benefit packages for those EVP's. That would be a good question to ask YOUR BOD MEMBERS. Plus last what did those EVP's accomplish in their period of employment with the NMLRA?

On another foot note both the NMLRA Winter, change to Western National Shoot, and the Single Action Shooting Societies event Winter Range started the same year, at Ben Avery.

SASS Membership has grown.

SASS just bought a New World Headquarter Land a couple of years ago off I-40 east of Albuquerque. Move from Anti Gun Cali to NM. That site also hosts Their End of Trail Event, season finally.

Winter Range is run by the Arizona Association of Territorial Riders a SASS Affiliate Club.

Winter Ranges Profit are donate to local Arizona Charities, many of who help with volunteers at Winter Range

This year the Winter Range had over 850 Registered Shooter, who must not have know there was a RECESSION

Arizona Association of Territorial Rider already has their 2014 Winter Range Web-site up.

Might be fun to poke around and see how creativity can work if you mentality is not in the past, and that how we did tit than,and will still do it that was today

Latest posts

Back