• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jonathan Browning .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbike

36 Cal.
Reaction score
had a bad morning cleaning my JB Mountain rifle. I pushed a wet patch down the barrel with a cleaning jag on the end of my range rod and the jag snapped off. No idea why or how. Now I have a jag and patch stuck at the breech. My options appear to be 1.Wait until our next shoot in July and use the club's CO2 ball discharger to see if it will come out. 2. Use a zerk fitting and grease gun to push it out or 3. Feed a small amount of powder into the breech and shoot it out.
What say Ye?

try using an air comp, turn it up take the nipple out and give it some air, or powder or grease. I would get that wet patch out of there pronto.

Make sure your replacement jag has steel threads; brass threads are notorious for breaking. Grease gun is a good, albeit messy option, but your barrel won't rust.

I'd try shooting it out with a couple grains of powder placed in the drum or snail under the nipple. Fastest cleanest way I know of.

I've used the grease gun method on one steel-wool wrapped brush that came apart in the bore and on two dry-balls. worked like a charm & clean-up wasn't near as messy as I expected it would be. biggest down-side for me was the resultant butter tub of slightly contaminated grease I ended up with.

in the last 2 years I have shot out one jag and three ram rods. very little powder just walk over and pick them up.

Well I did it. Went to the range, dribbled in 5-6 grains of powder and shot it out. Thanks for all the info.

Welcome to the club you are starting to learn!!!!

( my first I shot it out in the apt DW and I lived in.Never again you are ahead of that!)

Never use a rod the jag or end is not pinned to.

I like epoxy and pinned or steel threaded myself.

Part of using a ML

bubba.50 said:
I've used the grease gun method on one steel-wool wrapped brush that came apart in the bore and on two dry-balls. worked like a charm & clean-up wasn't near as messy as I expected it would be. biggest down-side for me was the resultant butter tub of slightly contaminated grease I ended up with.
I just use it for starter in the wood stove!

nhmoose said:
bubba.50 said:
I just use it for starter in the wood stove!

if I had my druthers I would too. don't think it would be very compatible with an oil furnace though :doh: .

So much more quicker, easier, cheaper and way less messy than all the other methods. I've never owned a ball puller in over 40 yrs of shooting ML'ers, and certainly can't for the life of me understand the reasoning behind choosing to make a huge mess by pumping it out with a grease gun as compared to removing the nipple and dribbling a few grains of powder in and shooting it out. To each his own though.

I've used both "shooting out" and the ball puller to rid the bore of a "dry ball" and both get the job done equally well.

Never got a jag or wire brush stuck in the bore....the rod ferrules are epoxied and cross pinned and are probably the reason. All my jags have a steel screw for attaching to the RR.....a brass male threaded jag is asking for trouble.....Fred

I learned my lesson. I have already ordered jags from TOW with steel threads, no more brass jags for me.
Thank goodness for the forum and all the information provided by its members.

Back