• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Javelina Zonie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky Johnson

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Zonie Tell us about hunting the pigs like you call them. Are they good to eat? How big are they? Can a nonresident get a tag for them.Rocky

Howdy Rocky,
I ain't 'Zonie, but I think we're "twin brothers of different mothers". I can't give you particulars from his area, but know a little about huntin hogs down Florida way.
No season, no limit, no license required. You need landowners permission only.I recon anything from 22 all the way out the far end of the spectrum is permissible.

They can range the gamut in size too. Biggest I have personally seen tipped the scales at 300, but I have heard of many that are larger. I like to harvest under the 150-160 pound range. I find the meat to be tender,sweet, and really fine eating. I usually go for head shots...the sides of a larger hog develops a layer of gristle to protect them from each other's tusks. Head shots make for neater cleaning back at camp too in my opinion.

They are hunted many ways. I like to hunt from a stand, but have met folks who like to still hunt. Some folks like to run them with dogs, but I am wondering how a hot adrenaline filled hog would taste....don't know.
I'm told that a hogs eyesight is about like my own and hearing is a bit better than mine. His nose is a different story....supposedly he can smell 5 times better than a hunting dog. They snuff out truffles in the ground with them in some european countries. Brain is suposed to be smarter than the dogs too...don't know, but they are sometimes pretty slick in avoiding a hunter.

I am fortunate in having a lot of good friends in Florida and get invited to hunt with them every so often. The change of terrain and climate makes for a great hunt, and the camaraderie is unsurpassed.

There are many sites on this here machine....just type in things like "wild hog" or "Florida hunting" or anything similar and see what pops up. I know that there are many places down there that that cater to folks wanting a hunt.

A few years ago the missus and I were down there in October for the harley rally at Daytona, and were cruising the countryside. We decided to stop at one of the citrus stands and use the facilities and grab a bag of oranges. "Facilities" were kind busy, so I stepped behind a big sign off at the side of the building to relieve myself. walked around the sign and came face to face with a pretty good sized sow that was munching on discarded friut that evidently the owners has disposed of there. I am still uncertain which of us left there quickest!

A hog can have ALMOST 3 litters of piglets per year, so a sow might have pigs with her that range from small rabitt sized up to 60-70 pounders. Sows are somewhat protective of their liter and it has been my experience that they are the more dangerous of the lot. Given room a hog normally runs from you unless wounded, or you happen to be standing in their escape route. Some of my friends down that way have interesting scars on their legs from such encounters....but what the hey...chicks dig scars, right?

I'm told there are 3 types of hogs down there. Basic feral hogs....mixed breeds from imported European stock...and in some places the spanish wild hogs still exist in a few rare instances..(with a cloven hoof). I have taken all but the spanish version, and understand they are quite rare. I see several folks on here are from that area, and of course bow to their greater knowledge. I would like to see some info from them posted here. Wick Ellerbe is one ...and he is acquainted with a friend of mine at Long Hammock Rifle barrel company. Everytime I see Richard Smith and ask "what's happening with you?" he always says "making a few barrels and chasing hogs"

For a very different change of pace from squirrels or deer I heartly recommend chasing feral hogs. I know 'Zonie and his part of the country also have a critter called a collard peccary, or javelina, and I am gonna be looking for his comments on them.

"Javelina 'Zonie"?? Don't thin I've ever been called that before, but let me try to answer your questions:
First off, some people call them a peccary. As this Forum is read by women and children I don't think we should dwell on that.

Well, first off the Javelina ain't really a pig. It ain't even related to a pig. And it shour don't taste like a pig. They just look like a pig to most of us that ain't trained scientific people.

Javelina are in their own special biological species and range from South America up into Texas, New Mexico (yes that's in the USA), Arizona and a few places in California.
The normal weight is in the 35-80 pound range but some do get up in to about 160 (at least in Arizona)and they are armed with impressive tusks.

Javelina have musk glands and the smell closely resembles that of a skunk. During cleaning of a shot pig the musk glands which are located on their lower back must be avoided at all costs. ANY of it on your knife will cause the meat to taste like a skunk. In fact, the meat has a skunky taste even if you are careful. This makes turning them into "barbecue" with a lot of sauce one of the preferred ways to eat them.
Their hide makes some of the softest but toughest gloves you've ever seen.

Speaking of their skunklike odor, when hunting them you can often catch their scent but never see them. This has led to their being called the ghost of the desert by a lot of hunters.

They usually roam in packs but sometimes, especially during hunting season they will be by themselves. They live in shallow caves or wash outs which are often found in washes out in our desert.

They eat roots, seeds and are fond of paddle cactus which they eat thorns and all.

Javelina have an excellent sense of smell and hearing but their vision is very poor. This poor eyesight has led to many instances of people walking into a pack of them and claiming they were attacked by the herd! Actually because of their poor eyesight they don't see you, they just see a way to escape and you are just another obstacle to run around in their panic to get away.

Their poor eyesight also makes them an excellent choice to hunt with a muzzleloader because IF you find a herd and are good at stalking (and don't mind a lot of climbing up and down thru the washes to get downwind of them) they are easy to get within 30-50 yards of them for a shot. The use of spotting scopes or good binoculars is just about mandatory to find the herd/groups.

Legal firearms in Arizona for Javelina are the .22 Rimfire Magnum minimum and up including any legal centerfire Rifle/Pistol/Muzzleloader and Bow. I don't have the 2004 Hunting regs but I believe the season starts about the middle of Feb. Out of State people can hunt in Arizona if they pay the fee. Call the Arizona Game and Fish for more info.(602-942-3000).

Arizona is over 60% National Forest or State land so there are a lot of places to hunt but most of the Javelina are in the South East quarter of the state. There is almost no private land there outside the citys and towns.

Speaking of "desert", a lot of people who haven't been out here think of a pile of sand with a few spriggs of grass. It isn't like that at all. In the areas the Javilina like to live it is covered with Mesquite and Paloverdy trees, Creosote, sage, and catclaw bushs, Saguaro, barrel, paddle and cholla (both staghorn and jumping) cactus and a lot more. Although there aren't any towering plants above your head there are lots of towering mountains. If you hunt it, you will grow to love it (at least in the cool months).

The Handgun/Muzzleloader Units are usually classified that way because there aren't that many Javelina in them so the herds can't take the pressure of the large number of rifle shooters who hunt the rest of the units. Handgun/Muzzleloading Units do make for peaceful hunting though with no one taking any long shots and miles of beautiful country almost all to yourselves.
If your into "meat" hunting and want to go where there is fairly high success ratios, the units South of a East/West line thru Phoenix and East of a line drawn from Phoenix thru Tucson and down to the border with Mexico is the best area. The area around Globe/Miami is usually good BUT, we have been having a drought for 2 years and I suspect all the herds are down in size this year.

Thanks Two Shadows. Thanks Zonie. Sorry about the way I posted that,Javelina Zonie it dose look odd.Rocky

Rocky: Thin nothin of it. "Javelina 'Zoney" is a whole lot better than I've been called by a lot o folks.
Iffen ye hunt Javelina keep yer eyes peeled for the stalk whats left from the Century Plant bloom.
There's a lot of Century Plants in these areas and they send up their flower stock about 8 to 10 feet and then die. Yes Becky, the whole thing dies. Yes Becky they only bloom once after growing for 20-60 years.
They got their name because after 20 or so years, the old timers would stop counting and just say "Am durn thins don't bloom but once every century!"
Anyway, this bloom stock is about 1 3/4 inches in diameter and about 8-10 feet long. After dieing and drying it weighs about 3/4-1 pound. It won't support a lot of side load so it doesn't work for carrying stuff but it is very strong and tough in the direction of its length and makes the best and lightest walking stick I know of. I've had some for 20 years and they are still working good.
Because it is long, it can be used to provide support when climbing up and down washes or pokin under bushes what rattle at you, or for resting your forward hand and gun on when taking aim off hand.
smile.gif

As ah mentioned up above, they can't see real good but ah don't know iffen ah'd call um dumb. If they catch yer scent or har ye comin' thar gone!
Ah ain't been ta Texas so's ah don't know what thar javelina looks like but ah'll say iffen yer kids teddy bar looks like a javelina than he or she's got a real ugly teddy bar!

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
Ah ain't been ta Texas so's ah don't know what thar javelina looks like.They look like targets to me...
grin.gif

cards_javeli_b.jpg

Yuup! Uglyest durn teddy bear Ah ever saw!
Ah was suprised to hear of um eatin it out thar in camp tho. Without LOTS of BarBeeQue sauce or at least lots o Jack Danials Sauce or Wild Turkey Sauce thar pritty hard ta get down.

Course am Texicans are tha kind ta have sum fun with thar new found Northern Toys. Ah can just har um now:

"What say we tell him we eat pigs?" "What the Hell are you talkin about?" "Well, if you pull three chugs from this Wild Lightning you won't care" "Well, Ok, give it here" Chug, Chug, Chug!!! "You know, this might be a lot of fun after all. Here, give me that bottle again...Chug Chug Chug."
"Hay, give it back! I got to eat the damn thing too you know!" Chug Chug Chug. "Hay, Plains99 Like I was sayin. We eat these every chanch we get......"

I took one last spring with a .45 caliber White muzzleloader down by Bracketville, Texas. They can't see, they aren't particularly bright, and after I shot one I felt like I had just murdered a hobbit. They are built like a bass with a pig's head. Feral hogs are much more of a challenge. I was told that he was a nice trophy. I'm having the head mounted. They fixed some of him that night for supper. Feral hogs are much better table fare. I don't think I'll hunt anymore but it was a unique experience. I kind of felt sorry for him. Kind of like shooting your kid's teddy bear.

Back