• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jag and Rod stuck in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not even with a patch; Trying out the new jag I finally got, fit it on the rod and ran it down the barrel, and it is stuck about halfway. Won't budge whatsoever. The jag is the proper size for my bore and everything, no idea why it stuck or how to get it un-stuck. It's a .75 cal smoothbore btw.

Buddy you are having a heck of a time with your musket lately! If you have a few inches of rod sticking out of the muzzle you can wrap some strong leather around the rod and tie it to a tree and yank HARD on the buttstock and usually pull the offending jag free.

It's common for jags to not be quite the size you need but I have never heard of one being that far off. I heard here a good idea. Instead of trying to pull the jag/rod out, secure the rod somehow, vise or something and pull on the gun. More leverage. Might shoot some oil down there first too.

Buddy you are having a heck of a time with your musket lately! If you have a few inches of rod sticking out of the muzzle you can wrap some strong leather around the rod and tie it to a tree and yank HARD on the buttstock and usually pull the offending jag free.
I really am haha, it just seems to be one thing after another. I have at least 2 feet of rod sticking out, didn't get stuck very far down. So I guess pulling it will work, just with a different method like that?

It's common for jags to not be quite the size you need but I have never heard of one being that far off. I heard here a good idea. Instead of trying to pull the jag/rod out, secure the rod somehow, vise or something and pull on the gun. More leverage. Might shoot some oil down there first too.
Yeah it's strange, might just stick with a patch worm from now on after I get this thing out. I put lots of oil in there already, but I guess I'll try securing the rod, seems to be the general consensus

A thin but strong REAL leather belt, a strong heavy leather strap, whatever as long as it is strong. Tie it off to something immovable and then wrap the other end around the rod. Put tension on it slowly allowing the leather to grip then with all your might pull hard. Should come free. Hopefully your rod end is pinned well.

Those are great ideas and one of them will get it out for you. FYI, on a fouled barrel it's best to go a bit at a time, even if you have to change patches halfway down. It's the buildup on the patch + the near bore sized jag + the remaining fouling that'll get you....

Those are great ideas and one of them will get it out for you. FYI, on a fouled barrel it's best to go a bit at a time, even if you have to change patches halfway down. It's the buildup on the patch + the near bore sized jag + the remaining fouling that'll get you....
The barrel is clean, no fouling in it :/

A thin but strong REAL leather belt, a strong heavy leather strap, whatever as long as it is strong. Tie it off to something immovable and then wrap the other end around the rod. Put tension on it slowly allowing the leather to grip then with all your might pull hard. Should come free. Hopefully your rod end is pinned well.
Thanks, this sounds like the best way to go about attaching the rod to something. Time to look around for a leather belt. Not to sure how to secure it on the rod though without it just slipping right off

Just wrap it around tightly and tuck the tag end. Tension and friction will keep it there.

Thanks, this sounds like the best way to go about attaching the rod to something. Time to look around for a leather belt. Not to sure how to secure it on the rod though without it just slipping right off

If you have some sort of thin rubber like the kitchen stuff for helping to grip a jar lid. Also, if you have a vise you can wrap in leather or rubber and cinch it down.

It certainly shouldn't get stuck in a clean bore with t-shirt thickness patches.

I got a jag stuck at a shooting match in Maine. The guy next to me took out a C-Clamp, clamped the rod to an overhead rafter, and yanked the gun away from the rod/jag. Slick as whale snot. I now carry a c-clamp in my shooting kit (so I will never need it again.)

ADK Bigfoot
I definitely have a c-clamp somewhere, gonna go look for it now, this sounds promising.

If you have some sort of thin rubber like the kitchen stuff for helping to grip a jar lid. Also, if you have a vise you can wrap in leather or rubber and cinch it down.

It certainly shouldn't get stuck in a clean bore with t-shirt thickness patches.
Yeah I am baffled as to why and how it got stuck. Just gonna stick with a worm instead of a jag from now on I think.

IMG_20200821_134655.jpg

IMG_20200821_134659.jpg

Make a loop with some strong cordage and tie a Prusik Knot which is a knot that binds under pressure but slide free when not under pressure. Put the loop over a solid object or run another line around a tree or post and pull from the rifle. It won't let go and you won't damage your ramrod.

Didn’t catch if you are talking about a wood or metal rod. If wood, you will want to make sure make sure the ramrod tip is pinned in place once you get things unstuck.
Forgot to mention, it's metal, so it's a tad bit harder to get a good grip on it.

If all else fails try this. Some here may not approve of this method but I have used this method in past for a dry ball. If there is no powder in the gun try pouring roughly 5 - 10 grains of powder in the touch hole and shoot it out.
Since the rod is only about 2 feet in and nowhere near being seated, would that not just create a pipe bomb?

Back