• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jacobsburg Rifle Frolic

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Jacobsburg has come n gone until October. What a week First it rained then it rained some more n then the weather turned to rain. I've got moss growing up my back n my toes have webs, there is a scratchy area behing my ears that feels sort a like scales covering gill plates, rain rain rain. BUT!!!! we had a good time. Saw n met several fella from here at the board n all I can say is come back in Oct, I promise the weather will be better( I hope!). Not much shooting or really much of anything happened around camp. Most folks (those that braved the weather) just sort of hunkered down under the tent flys n dealt with the YUK!. We got in some bow shooting n had a ton of laffs drank enough beer to float a battle ship n laffed some more, guess thats what it's all about really, relaxing n enjoying yourself. Now to scrape some of the wood smoke stink off my sit-me-down n catch up on the real world happenings of the last week. All in all as allways a good time. Hope all of ya that made it n suffered through had a good time to. Until the trails cross again YMHS Birdman ps, Frosty yer going down next time with the bow, I'm gonna start practicing again hee hee hee

You better do a lot Birdman, It was good to see yer old ugly face again. I bearly took 3rd. All in all it was a good weekend. water was only 8" deep on the rifle woods walk. oly had 8 people do it and 4 of them were kids. But it was a fun woods walk. see you all at the next one.

First time at Jacobsburg and finally put a face on the Birdman (good thing my expectations weren't too high.....(g)). Yes, it rained.......but hey I didn't have to worry about sunburn. The daughter and I bailed out (literally) early Sunday. Never took a shot with the rifle and the daughter couldn't get her spinning wheel out, it being too damp (but she did take 2nd in the cooking contest with her peach cobbler) but all in all a good time. Maybe we'll take a crack at it again in October.

Fiddler

I missed out on the event, but first time I heard of this place. I will have to visit, looks very interesting.

hey Frosty, who where the top four in the archery, I had to bail early n wasn't there for closeing. I'm guessing that ol white haired coot Mel won it outright after hitting that apple, con- sarned- danged ol cantankeous sum a gun. yep that woods walk coulda been called the woods swim with all the water commen down that crick hee hee knee deep to a tall horse in the shallow spots

I stopped by Sunday afternoon to look around. Things were quiet. The longrifle museum had an eye popping Mark Wheland lion and lamb rifle on display along with a half dozen other nice contemporary pieces and a nice assortment of horns. This event is on the site of the Henry Boulton works and homes. A pretty good collection of fur trade and early federal military ordnance can also be seen at the museum.

Birdman, Frosty and anyone else who was at Jacobsburg this past weekend.....

I went back lasy night to pack up my tent after leaving it there to dry..........and it was gone.

Now, I'm assuming someone was being nice and packed it up for me, but where did they put it? Jan Ballard from the historical society looked in the garage and a few other places and....nothing.She called Mike Jones and he didn't know anything about it. He said he'd start calling around.Can you guys ask around and see if anyone knows what happened to it? It's a Tentsmiths bellback wedge and 2 flys along with all the poles and pegs. It's about a 2 hour drive for me to get to Jacobsburg so, best case, I wasted a bunch of gas last night. Worst case, someone made off with my tent and that would definitely be a bummer.

Thanks,

Fiddler

Fiddler, no one told me about packing yer tent. I will keep an ear out and let you know iffen I hear anything. Brdman, Mel took first and Danny took 2nd and I got 3rd. Don't know who got 4th. I will try to find out. Fiddler good luck on yer tent.

Hi Frosty,

Jan Ballard said that there were still multiple tents there on Monday but she's pretty sure they were all gone by Tuesday. She checked in the garage but it wasn't there (but the tent that belongs to Jacobsburg was....). The shed down by the hawk blocks was locked up. I'm hoping/praying it got put in there? It's not a site where there would be much in the way of drive by traffic so I can't see some anonymous person snatching it. Were you friends with the other folks there? A couple of the faces were familiar to me (like Randy) but other than that I didn't know anyone there that would have taken it home for me.

Dunno..... :hmm:

fiddler said:
. Never took a shot with the rifle and the daughter couldn't get her spinning wheel out, it being too damp
Fiddler

Hey, Fiddler, your daughter has a wheel? She oughta get in touch with my Mrs, who has two of 'em. One gen-u-wine antique, and one made of pvc for spinning in bad weather. Daughter can contact her at purplkat @ optonline.net. She loves to talk spinning(do it for hours, if you don't drag her away!)!
She was the one walking around in the straw hat, with a drop spindle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard there was someone there with a drop spindle but never saw her. My daughter had her wheel packed away in the tent to stay dry. It's a wooden one (but not antique). I'll pass the contact info. along. 'Course if my tent doesn't reappear I don't see us doing anymore events for the forseeable future. I got laid off back in January and I'm sort of hobbling along day to day doing temp work.

Fiddler

the woman with the drop spindle is Mz Kat , Lostrifles woman, they are from NJ n still collecting equip to someday camp. Fiddler I'll make some calls n see if anybody I know might know about your tent, man that is a total bummer.

Thanks Birdman,

Appreciate any help you can give. Jan Ballard at Jacobsburg has all my contact info. if the tent turns up.

Fiddler

Fiddler I got several calls out n so far best I can say is your tent was still up around 3/3:30pm Monday. The people with the hooters were there picking up the portajohns n several other tents were still up. Maybe the Boushway took it down, give Charlie a call n check with him.This really tics me off, I've always felt safe with the gear up at Jburg n left it standing for several days if need be and left camp early in the week to do some running n never worried. NOW Ya got to wonder, if it will be there when ya get back. Why the hell can't people keep their hands off other peoples stuff. Stealing ought to be a death penelty offense in my book, damn but I hate a thief. People work to hard n long for what they have n some dip sh&* comes along. Steal from me n the police can have whats left if I find out who before they do. :nono: :cursing: :cursing:

Hi Birdman,

Would you have a phone number for Charlie? I only have Mike Jones' number and I haven't heard anything from him. I'm thinking no news is bad news. sigh...

I've always been under the impression that gear is safe at rendezvous but this is the first time I ever left my equipment behind for later retrieval. oh well......live and learn

No Fiddler sory I don't have Charlie's number. As of right now unless something comes out of the blue it looks like ya may be out a tent. A couple people called me back n I talked with Mike too. It must have happend sometime between around 5pm Monday n the same Tue. This is a total bummer because many of us have set up early at Jburg n thought everything would be safe, now we all are wondering?For better then ten years everything has been safe but some schmuck now has everyone antsy about leaving anything behind. Talk about a bad apple spoiling the barrel. Mike even drove around the area thinking maybe he would spot your tent put up in someones yard(hopeing they were that dumb) but didn't see anything. I believe he may take a walk in the woods below the sight to see if they may have stashed it there to come back later n pick it up. If vous people are on site everrybodies stuff is safe for sure but when everyone leaves I guess ya hope for the best in people but occasionally this sort of thing happens. Try giving Jan a call , maybe she has Charlie's number. this is a total bummer

ok Birdman, thanks.

I was thinking last night that I should have poked around in the woods while I was there but I really just assumed someone decided to be nice and pack it up for me. Oh well, time to start saving my pennies again.

When the Eastern was held at Muddy Run in 2002, I helped with work parties, before and after. 3 weeks after the Eastern was over, there was still a Marquis standing out toward the modern camping area. The park folk were getting a bit tired of the thing just setting there.

(Heck, the third weekend after, we were picking up trash and raking over fire pits and discovered two skinny dippers in a cove of the Lake. Those young ladies made a mad dash for towels.)

GREAT NEWS!!!!

My tent has been located! It turns out when RT was taking his tent down there were some suspicious looking kids lurking about and he was afraid they would snatch my stuff after he left.So rather than take the chance, he hauled the whole thing home with him. He's been out of town for a couple days so he couldn't let anyone know.

Anyway........all is well. Thanks to Birdman, Frosty, Mike Jones and especially RT for taking care of me. Hope to see you all at the next event. I owe you all a few cold ones.

Fiddler

YEEEE HAWWWW!!!!!!! Great news Fiddler. Man I feel a whole lot better. RT is one a those safety guys that rides with "over size"loads n such, man this is right fine news. :thumbsup: :applause:

Back