• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jack Henson's rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfinator58

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have seen information on Jack hinson's custom sniper rifle and I was wondering if it was related in some way to the Whitworth sniper rifle of the 1860s as far as the elongated lead projectile and the twist rate of 1 in 20 it seems like in the world of twist rates and Gunsmithing in order to be as accurate it would have to have similar qualities I know the Whitworth rifle shot an elongated lead slug that was hammered down into the barrel through a false muzzle and the twist rate as far as I can determine was one in 20 but that's as far as I got any help is appreciated

It was a round ball rifle but I don't know if he may have used any of the slightly elongated bullets used prior to the time of the war. That it was a round ball gun is what I've read about. I don't remember anything about there being a false muzzle fitted.

Last edited:
There's pictures of it in his biography "One-Man War" by Tom McKenney. It was/is a very ordinary looking roundball rifle and actually kinda homely looking. The barrel flats are adorned with little circles stamped in it representing each kill supposedly.

It was a round ball rifle but I don't know if he may have used any of the slightly elongated bullets used prior to the time of the war. That it was a round ball gun is what I've read about. I don't remember anything about there being a false muzzle fitted.
Not according to the book.

IMG_6282.jpg

Back