• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Italian maker's ID marks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazo kid

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I posted this info on the pistol forum a bit ago, but thought it may be of general interest and so have posted it here. If this isn't the right spot, please move it to one more appropriate. I found the info on a different forum. Thanks. Emery

"There will be proof marks (usually two). One of them will be a PN marking...this is a black powder proof. Have had people show that to me and claim that their gun is nitro proofed (thinking PN is for Proof Nitro)..it is not...that's a black powder proof.

Will USUALLY be a maker's stamp...but not always. In the early years, was common to have whoever improrted the gun supply whatever stamps they wanted..Navy Arms, Replica Arms, Sile, CVA, etc. But it all boils down to a few makers. Common ones are: (aside from writting the company name out):

Pedersoli usually uses "DAP" or "dp".

Uberti usualy uses a "U" surroumded by an octagon outline...the octagon to represent a barrel outline.

Pietta Usually uses a "FAP" in a horizontal diamond outline.

Palmetto (who made a lot of Dixie Gun Works reproductions) uses a palm tree in a circle.

Armi San Palo uses a DGG..this is also found on EuroArms (as they are more or less the same maker now). Often hard to figure out as they overlap the DGG.

Armi Sport will usually use a "AC" in a circle."

The guns made in Italy usually have a square or rectangular box with either Roman Numerals or a pair of letters stamped inside of it like XXII or BM.
These numerals or letters represent the year the gun was manufactured.

I posted this info on the pistol forum a bit ago, but thought it may be of general interest and so have posted it here. If this isn't the right spot, please move it to one more appropriate. I found the info on a different forum. Thanks. Emery

"There will be proof marks (usually two). One of them will be a PN marking...this is a black powder proof. Have had people show that to me and claim that their gun is nitro proofed (thinking PN is for Proof Nitro)..it is not...that's a black powder proof.

Will USUALLY be a maker's stamp...but not always. In the early years, was common to have whoever improrted the gun supply whatever stamps they wanted..Navy Arms, Replica Arms, Sile, CVA, etc. But it all boils down to a few makers. Common ones are: (aside from writting the company name out):

Uberti usualy uses a "U" surroumded by an octagon outline...the octagon to represent a barrel outline.

Palmetto (who made a lot of Dixie Gun Works reproductions) uses a palm tree in a circle.

Armi San Palo uses a DGG..this is also found on EuroArms (as they are more or less the same maker now). Often hard to figure out as they overlap the DGG.

Perhaps my eyes are not as good as earlier in life, maybe I am just not reading this maker proof correctly…..

Has anyone seen this maker mark ?

Does NOT seem to show in ANY maker research.

Please let me know if anyone has ran across this maker stamp

Thx 71103BE7-6484-4C63-AF19-09C4031618C4.jpeg

The mark you are asking about looks to be double stamped and poorly at that. I think I see an RI within the circle. The only maker I can think of that might have used those letters is the long gone (40+ yrs.) Ranson Italia but I have never known them to mark a gun with anything like what you have.

This mark is on the underside of the barrel of a two band 58 Enfield rifled musket clone. Would this be an example of the DGG indicating Armi San Palo / EuroArms?
20240226_205839.jpg
20240226_205954.jpg

Howdy, does anyone know what Italian company this logo represents? It's on my 1975 Lyman Plains rifle. The old Plains rifle, not the Great Plains.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpeg
    IMG_0216.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 0

MAVI​

"In 1950 the Salvinelli family started making shotguns in Val Trompia, Italy’s traditional gun making region since the 1500’s. M.A.V.I. Di Salvinelli was more well known as a shotgun manufacturers but they did manufacture reproduction revolvers for a time."

"MAVI Di Salvinelli, one of the Salvinelli brothers, was an Italian revolver manufacturer of the early sixties who would eventually be integrated into Armi San Marco. The logo marking is MAVI in full letters in a frame under a double barrel gun as it appears when looking head on into the barrel. They were eventually purchased by Armi San Marco, but the three brothers (Luca Salvinelli, Roberto Salvinelli and Mauro Salvinelli) formed Investarm in 1975. Roberto Salvinelli and Mauro Salvinelli also owned Armi Salvinelli, the shotgun making division, currently one of the Italian leaders in competitive shotguns, while Luca runs Investarm. The Salvinelli name has been synonymous with fine hand-crafted shotguns for decades. The company is now headed by the third generation."

MAVI​

"In 1950 the Salvinelli family started making shotguns in Val Trompia, Italy’s traditional gun making region since the 1500’s. M.A.V.I. Di Salvinelli was more well known as a shotgun manufacturers but they did manufacture reproduction revolvers for a time."

"MAVI Di Salvinelli, one of the Salvinelli brothers, was an Italian revolver manufacturer of the early sixties who would eventually be integrated into Armi San Marco. The logo marking is MAVI in full letters in a frame under a double barrel gun as it appears when looking head on into the barrel. They were eventually purchased by Armi San Marco, but the three brothers (Luca Salvinelli, Roberto Salvinelli and Mauro Salvinelli) formed Investarm in 1975. Roberto Salvinelli and Mauro Salvinelli also owned Armi Salvinelli, the shotgun making division, currently one of the Italian leaders in competitive shotguns, while Luca runs Investarm. The Salvinelli name has been synonymous with fine hand-crafted shotguns for decades. The company is now headed by the third generation."
Thank you, very interesting history.

Back