• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

is this normal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffnh243

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have traditions Crockett rifle that, so far shoots great. lading this thing seems alittle strange.currently I use a .010 patch over a .310 ball cause thats the most accurate. the strange thing is that to get the ball the first 10 inches down the bore I almost have to hammer it in but, after that it slips down to the powder charge almost effortlessly. I tried .015 and .018 patches and it still slips easily down the last 22inches of barrel but not the first 10. is some thing wrong and what could have caused the problem. I did mic the outside of the barrel and theres no bulge

Sounds like the barrel needs a good scrubbing, as you are most likely to gather residue in the last few inches of the barrel with smaller caliber guns. use a bronze bore brush, with a cleaning patch over it. Put some toothpaste on the patch, after dampening the patch. The toothpaste has an abrasive in it that will help clean the crud out of the bore. The Bristles of the bore brush will hold the patch, and push it down into the corners of your rifling, to get at the stuff stuck there.

If the bore is tight towards the muzzle, then, you need to find a machinist with bore gauges measuring equipment, to find out how tight it is. These tight spots can be lapped out, but it probably would be cheaper replacing the barrel. The barrel should not have left the factory in the condition you describe. :redface: :shocked2:

If my memory is correct (it ain't what it used to be) Traditions are made in the old plant in Spain that made CVA's in the sixties and early seventies. The CVA's often had a "tight" spot in the barrels from clamping while cutting the rifling. This did not affect the accuracy but made cleaniong and loading a pita. You could lap it out with a lead slug (send me a pm if you want detailed in structions ) if it is severe but I would recomend you contact the supplier about a replacement barrel first.

Problem solved :thumbsup: , as it turns out theres nothing wrong with the gun itself. The wood stem on my short starter was bent a little and kept getting stuck. I now have a a straight one and loading is no longer a problem :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back