• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there any listmembers here that tin pots ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a small brass camp pot that I'd like to have the inside tinned to make it more food safe. it is 5 inches across and 3 1/2 inches deep. Any one here that knows how to tin the inside of my kettle ??
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• kettle.JPG
    kettle.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 4
So IF you keep it clean without green tarnish aka verdigris, AND you don't do highly acidic foods such as spaggetti sauce, it's food safe. I asked Peter Goebel of Goose Bay Workshops many many years ago about that and he tinned his brass stuff simply because folks wouldn't buy it without the tinning, not that it needed it. It's not tarnish but the green tarnish that makes you ill. It will also make you ill if it forms on bare copper and you boil or cook food in the copper, BUT apple butter, highly acidic is made in very large copper vats..., which are kept very clean and shiny. So are copper brewing kettles, for the same reason.

LD

yes correct that is why you clean your copper still with a batch of vinegar(removes all tarnish)then it is food safe.

Back