• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

is it piractical to turn a cap lock into a flint lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a specific rifle in mind?

Does it have a patent breach or a drum and nipple?

If it has a drum and nipple arrangement, the conversion will be much easier. The next question is; is a flint version of the lock available? If so, great. If not, is there a flint lock with a similar size and shape available?

If the rifle has a patent breach, the conversion is still doable. The problem is that the barrel will have to be re breached and that will most likely result in having to either relocate the barrel lugs or relocate the barrel wedges/pins in the stock. In other words, while the conversion of a patent breach caplock to a flintlock is doable, it will likely not be practical.

As an example of a fairly easy conversion, lets use a caplock TVM Tennessee Rifle. This rifle uses the large Siler lock and drum and nipple. To convert, remove the drum and install a vent liner and replace the large Siler caplock with a large Siler flintlock. This conversion should require little or no stock work.

I hope this helps.

Vernon in Indiana

I changed a Pedersoli Frontier cal 45 from caplock to flintlock. It did not take 5 minutes... remove the drum, screw in a touchhole (I used a berrilium one) and put in another lock - ready ! :thumbsup:
I did the same later on with an old Pedersoli Kentucky that I had somewhere in a corner.
On that one I had to work the frizzen a little - it was a few mm to wide - this was easily fixed with a Dremell tool.
Both guns have a patent breech - I did not need to do anything on that ... I presume (but am not 100 % certain) that most Pedersoli guns that you can have in flintlock or Caplock, have interchangable locks ....
For me it works well enough....

thanks guys for your input. the guns in question are drum. the guns I am looking at I would buy if they where flint lock. so if i get them at the right price I am going to buy them

thanks

Don't know if this will apply but my first ML rifle was a Traditions Shenandoah made in the first year or so of the company starting. It was a caplock but I soon decided I wanted a flinter. I called the company and ended up getting the flint barrel and lock and just swapped them into the same stock. This was cheaper than getting a new rifle at the time and worked fine. I've switched them back and forth over the decades with no problem.

Jeff

I've honestly wondered this too because there are a lot of percussion rifles for sale, however in PA we can only use Flintlock for most of the deer seasons.

Can a TC Hawken be done?

You will need a flint barrel and a lock. I have done it many times. Some stocks are better than others and you may see a mis-placed touch hole.

My dad converted a CVA Bobcat. His first attempt but a simple parts swap worked out fine.

Green Mountain drop in barrels for TCs are becoming available again. Very simple to get one of the drop in barrels and a lock.

When I did a Renegade, there were no .54 flint barrels available so I bought a persuction barrel from TOW along with a TC flint breechplug and paid TOW to install the flint breechplug.

TC

I have 2 TC Hawkens, one flint and one cap. Just for the heck of it I swapped barrels and locks from one stock to the other, no problem.
As for changing a caplock to flint, TC has a patent breech that would require barrel or at least breech replacement I believe. Looking at mine I don't see how you could convert to flint otherwise.

I'm no expert but I know there can be issues. I asked the same question on a different forum and from the response there it depends on which rifle you are doing it to and when it was built. Some of the older traditions and CVA the threads on the drum go well past the Chamber in the barrel. You can just put a touch hole liner in but that will leave the old exposed breach threads which no matter how hard you try will hold fouling, which will cause carrosion, which over time will weaken the breach. OK so just cut the drum off flush and tap it and put a touch hole liner, well that has issues too. Some of the older CVA/Traditionds etc. had that threaded piece that went into the breach with just a small slit in it, which with a percussion was no problem. with a flintlock you want powder from the charge as close to the flash from the pan as possible, So you have to find out if it has the slit or a large opening before you just cut it off and put a vent liner. Still do-able but mat be harder than just pulling the drum and replacing it with a vent liner. Hope that is clear..

Good luck and keep us posted with your results.

I know L-n-R sells replacement locks that fit most production Guns which are much better quality.

I have a Pedersoli frontier 36cal that I was thinking of converting to Flintlock. I see on Pedersoli's website they have the locks for this rifle but no listing for a barrel. I wanted to be able to swap back to cap lock if the wim came up. Is there a dealer or supplier for these barrels in the states?

You won't need another barrel. You just remove the drum and replace it with one of their liners when you install the flint lock. It's as simple as that.

BullRunBear said:
Don't know if this will apply but my first ML rifle was a Traditions Shenandoah made in the first year or so of the company starting. It was a caplock but I soon decided I wanted a flinter. I called the company and ended up getting the flint barrel and lock and just swapped them into the same stock. This was cheaper than getting a new rifle at the time and worked fine. I've switched them back and forth over the decades with no problem.

Jeff

I had the same rifle but in flint that you could time with a calender so I had Coyote Joe convert it to percession, Works so darn good I gave it to my wife and she now kicks everybody butt at all our shoots including Nationals in Creed last summer.
:shake:

DSCF2695.jpg

DSCF2373.jpg

I talked to Traditions about doing it to my Kentucky Rifle. Have to change the barrel and lock($250)for the parts,and they have to special order the barrel. Not sure if its worth it.

Typical Traditions :bull:
I got their percession lock but other companies make a better replacement lock than their's and I replaced their barrel with a Green Mtn Barrel Cost me 175.00.
Now it's a tack(one inch at 100yrds)driver.

Their lock is inferior to L@R, pritty sad to be worse than L@R.
:shake:

Latest posts

Back