• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms breach plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmaster

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a ball stuck in the barrel of my rifle and have tried everything to get it out. CO2, different diameter ball pullers and I am still stuck. I think I may need to pull the breach plug out but have never done this before. Is there anyone who can guide me through this? This is a plug with a hook on the end. The rifle is a Cabela's Hawken. :surrender:

Wow what a problem. Now lets fix it. First is it a patched ball. If yes let it soak with a good lubricant for about 30 minutes and try again. Try to move it down the barrel a little before pulling this would or should loosen it enough to pull it. (2) Still stuck try your local mechanic his air compressor has more pressure and volume than a home compressor. (3) Still stuck my last resort, go to a Auto parts (take your nipple with you) and find a grease zerk with matching threads, get a greasegun and pump the ball out.
Now clean the mess out of the barrel and your good to go.
The last resort would be to debreach and that is only if all else fails.
Back to the beginning is there powder in the barrel? If so have you tried to drive the ball down the barrel until it is seated on the powder. Then you could just shoot it out. If dry balled you could still pull the nipple put powder under the ball reseat it and shoot it out.
Good Luck
Fox :thumbsup:

If it were an American gun I'd suggest using a 1/4-28 zerk grease fitting and pumping the ball out with a grease gun. But since you have a 6-.75 metric nipple that might be a problem. I wonder if a metric grease fitting can be had in 6-.75 thread? Works like a charm since hand pump grease guns have close to 10,000 psi of pump pressure............But oh alas.........The Mess to clean up.....................Good luck.........Bob

Well, i finally got the dadblasted ball out of the barrel. I had punched a hole through it with the ball puller and the hole was too loose, so I used an old cleaning jag and pounded the ball flat which closed the hole and gave the ball puller something to grab onto again and with a pop, out she came. Happiness is a clean barrel on your muzzleloader. Thanks for the advice. It gave me hope. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I've had a few stuck balls. Each time I call my daughter. She seems to have a magic touch. Works everytime :rotf: .

I have a co2 discharger that I have never used yet ... but will I am sure ... having used the "ball pulling" & "shot out" methods a couple of times before! :hmm:

The thing is ... the grease fitting method seems to be the best "safe last resort" method there is to me, barring breech plug removal. :hatsoff:

Davy!

The grease method may be safe, but if a person bores a hole thru the ball like oldmaster did neither the grease or a CO2 powered method will work (until the hole is plugged).
zonie :)

Nobody has had a chance to say this: A hearty welcome to the "Dry-Ball Club". I too am a member of this esteemed group, but only ONCE.

Hopefully you too will only do this once :) .

Glad everything is O-K, Dave

Heck, once doesn't really count! I did it twice back to back while telling a hunting story on the line once!

I've not seen the grease trick fail...the CO2 dischargers work good but I've seen them fail when the ball has been buggered up bad by ball pullin screw. Do ya know the keep bulldozer tracks tight with grease, it's powerful

Back