• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Introduction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel Lehman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Im Joel Lehman from Austin, Texas. I shoot BP with the Austin Rifle Club. My favorite ML is a LH Jim Chambers Isaac Haines 54 cal flinter that was assembled by James Klein. It was a 30th wedding anniversary gift from my wife in 2000.

I've tried deer hunting with BP rifles for several years with no success. I've had many good dove hunts with my Navy Arms 12ga SXS. This year I used a 20ga Sharon barrel that was supposed to drop in a TC percussion stock. It took a little work to make it fit. Now it is a real lightweight shooter.

I'm not much of a craftsman. I have made a couple of powder horns, several knives and one leather sheath, and three ramrods.

I don't respond to much, but I certainly enjoy all that I have learned.

Thank you,

Joel Lehman

Glad to have you with us Joel. I spent a little time up your way there in hill country outside Austin when I was stationed at Lackland, pretty country. I have an older Lyman Trade Rifle, uses the same barrel as the TC Hawken. How about passing on some information about that Sharon Barrel. Take care, Rick.

Joel: when you say "I'm not much of a craftsman. I have made a couple of powder horns, several knives and one leather sheath, and three ramrods." as I am sure you noticed, you don't have to be much of a craftsman to fit in here. In fact, IMO most of the people here wouldn't be considered to be craftsman. That's what makes this site so enjoyable to so many.
They can read about so many things that there is bound to be something of interest to them.

Glad to have you here, and if you can add anything to the discussions jump in. We don't bite.

Hey Joel...

The sign of a true craftsman is...
No wrinkles in the duct tape... :haha:

Welcome

The Sharon 20 ga barrel was bought by brother at a Texas State ML match in Brady, TX about 20 years ago. It was supposed to be a drop in replacement in the TC Hawken 15/16" barrel stock. It would not, so he finally gave it to me last summer.

It wouldn't drop in my TC Hawken either. Neither of us wanted to alter our nice TC walnut stocks. I had an old aftermarket plastic stock for a TC Hawken that I picked up years ago and never used. With lots of work with a Dremmel tool and patch knife, I got the barrel to fit. I take the recoil lug, trigger, trigger guard and lock of the TC Hawken and install them on the plastic stock. The complete gun weighs about 6 pounds and it does pound your shoulder. I shoot the same load I shoot in my Navy Arms S/S 12 ga, 80 grains of Goex 2F and 1 3/8 oz of # 8 shot. I had to use this load to get good pattern at 25 yards. With # 6 shot it will penetrate a steel coffee can at that range and drops doves easily out to 35 yards with # 8 shot. I use a CVA powder flask and a shot snake from the Leatherman when hunting.

Good hunting,

Joel

Welcome Joel I'm live in Kansas. I'm orginaly from Ardmore Oklahoma I'm a retired US Army I joined in Houston 1970 retired at FT Hood 1990. I have lived in Plainveiw and FT Worth my father died is at rest in Caldwell Texas. Welcome to the forum. reason for me living in Kansas I can take the cold better than the Texas heat. So welcome to the Camp.Rick

Back