• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Introduction and questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erock1980

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been lurking here for a while reading up and building interest. I am interested in flintlocks; adding a new element to my hunting season as well as enjoying the historical aspect of flintlocks. Is it a good idea to start with an inexpensive flintlock ($350-$550) (used or new), and by hunting a season or so with it determine if its practical or enjoyable for me before investing too much into a semi-custom or custom gun? My only black powder experience is with the repro navy colts. I also reload metallic cartridges for various centerfire cartridges.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I would say yes absolutely, providing the (cheap) flintlock works and is reliable. Theres nothing more frustrating than having a cheap gun not function properly. There are good buys out there though for a limited budget and that is the way to go before sinking a lot of money into this hobby. :thumbsup:

I totally agree with Swampy's recommendation. Before you have someone build you a rifle you better know EXACTLY what you want.

You are on the right track to flintlock addiction with your thinking to test the waters with a moderatly priced rifle. There are plenty of used, quality production flintlocks for sale out there for $300 - $500, such as Thompson Center, Lyman and Traditions. I see them all the time at gun shows and on dusty racks in gun shops (out of sight of the AR crowd they try to attract), and a quick check on a well-known gun auction site revealed a few T/C Renegades and a couple of Lymans flinters for sale. Just be sure to bring a bore light with you to check for pitting, or ask the Internet seller for pics of the bore or guarantee that they are not pitted.

I would say go for it. I can tell you for a fact that Lyman and TC both make good rifles. I have both, but prefer the Lyman GPR as it has more drop in the stock. But the TC Hawken feels more like a modern rifle, so that may be an advantage or disadvantage for you, depending on which feels better. If at all possible, shoot both before buying if you know anyone or can find a range where people use them. If that fails, try to find both in a gunshop so you can at least shoulder them and see which feels better. Has anyone mentioned yet that this is addictive? If not, forget that I said anything. :stir:

The lyman and tc rifles seem to be sold new in the $500+ range. The traditions deerhunter seems to be towards the lower end of the price range new. Any reason to avoid them altogether for a first flintlock? I know the lyman and tc rifles sell for less used but it would be smart to find one locally to ensure reliability I assume. I have handled and shouldered the traditions deerhunter and the TC hawken in person recently and I am more or less familiar with the disparity in overall quality.
thanks

Big diffearance between cheap and inexpensive.
Never buy cheap (junk) you spend your money,get frusterated and quit and have no fun.
Buy inexpensive (quality) and now you can enjoy the experiance and if you decide not to stay with it,you can get your money back..
In the summer and just a month after hunting season is when I go shopping.It's the old saying,buy lawn mowers in January and snow blowers in June,out of season!!
Got a chance right now to buy a T/C Hawken 50 cal never been fired has both barrels and locks for flint and precussion,$300.00,, barrels need to be reblued/browned. T/C are guaranteed for life!!
Last summer I bought a Lyman GPR left handed,50 cal percussion $250.00 near NIB.100 roundballs and two boxes of caps.
I have two other,cheap,junkers, on the bench, given to me,rebuilding for the grandkids,one was a PA rifle that was turned into a lamp and now back,,might make a better lamp.
deals are out there just go slow,invest your money in quality,or when you buy a good rifle you have to add the cost of the junk to the cost of the good!!!!$100.00 junk + $300.00 quality you have $400.00 in the rifle,could have the quality one for $300.00 or a better one for the $400.00. Just my Yankee Trader way of looking at it,your mileage might be different.
If there is a club near you ..go to their next shoot,ask question look over the selection and get a feel for what you are looking for,,might help.

Welcome, you are on the right track. I might add that if you are going to go Flint, you only have one choice on powder, and that's real blackpowder, as all the sub's will not work at all or have very poor, and slow ignition. Get a good working lock, and flint combo for fast ignition.

Bill

The most important thing to remember about flintlocks is that the lock is the weak link.

Any lock with a good spring will set off a cap as millions of us learned as kids with our shiny toy guns.

A flintlock must have a good quality lock and a properly set up flash hole to be reliable...and reliable quates to fun. If you're having fun then you are more likely to stick with it. If you gamble on a cheap gun and have to "play" with to get it work right or it is never reliable then you will get frustrated and quit.

If you can afford it, there really is no reason to go inexpensive or cheap the first time. You can get deals on used semi-custom and custom guns using quality American made components. If later you decide flint isn't for you, you can easily get your money back.

Also, you said you interested in the historical aspects of the flintlock. If this is paramount to you then understand the cheaper imports and mass produced American guns have no historical atributes at all. The T/C Hawken for example is no more representitive of a historical flintlock than a M1 Garand. T/C builds a quality gun with a life time warrenty that you will more than likely never need but putting a flintlock lock in the mortise does not make it historically correct just as pulling your car with a team of horses makes it a Stage Coach.

If you decide you love flintlocks you won't "outgrow" the better gun as fast.

I'm sitting on a bunch of guns I've "outgrown" but I keep them around for the kids and friends.

It's up to you. Just some things to think about.

Enjoy, J.D.

Bill,

Okay, I am the voice of dissent here. For a caplock, I would agree with a cheap entry level gun recommendation, but for flints, I suggest that you look for someone to shoot with for a while and learn about what you will want in the future. There are shooting clubs and reenacting groups to check out for an introduction to rock locks.

During this process, consider how you want to use the gun. Then buy a good one that fits you and fires reliably and accurately.

If you are anywhere near Central Mississippi, contact me off line and we will get a number of guns in your hands for you to try out and set the hook!

CS

Jdkerstetter is spot on concerning the locks. If you buy a low dollar gun (I have two Traditions) you can still expect accuracy and good service. The imported flint locks used on imported guns represent a manure shoot. Often they work from the get-go and keep on working. But too often they are just not serviceable as they come on the gun. These locks can be handed to a good lock (gun) smith and made reliable. But of course that can add a few more dollars to the "cheap" gun. The Lyman GPRs have a good reputation as a fairly low cost rifle in flint. Good advice to get with an experienced flint shooter first.

Bill, what do you want to hunt? Paper? Deer? Elk? Bear? Rabbit? Pheasant? Turkey? Different game means different calibers for best results.

Thank you for the replys all. I plan on hunting deer under 100 yards with this first rifle. And yes I understand these inexpensive rifles bear no resemblance to historical firearms. I'm looking for an introduction to the type of firearm before making a large investment. And contrary to the advice of one poster I cannot afford to spend upwards of $1,000 on a high quality flintlock at the moment. I would not be averse to purchasing a used one if the reliability was there. My loose plan, if I enjoy some measure of success with my first rifle, would be to acquire a historically accurate full size gun eventually. I will have to research if there are any local clubs of this nature around. As yesterday was Independance day it would have been a good time to inquire with the local re-enactors who were likely about, but I missed that chance. I'll have to look into it.

Great plan. Especially the part about reaching out to local clubs in your area as they can be an endless resource.

By asking around you may even find you have a local hobby builer in your area who works cheap or is selling guns he's built for just over the parts price to finance his next build. A very common senario played out all over the country by builders who haven't established themselves or built big reputations.

You may get lucky and they are famous one day. The custom gun trade is a lot like the art world in that respect....guns that a particular builder was getting $600-$1000 for are suddenly worth $4000-$6000 once his name pops.

Keep your ears and eyes open.

Enjoy and good luck, J.D.

Then to, at your local club, might just be someone who started out,just as you are about to do and is ready to move up!!!!!!!!!!!
Never been to a shoot where ther wasnt someone selling or knew someone who was.Some clubs even have a POSTING Board for sales and wants.

I'm looking for an introduction to the type of firearm before making a large investment. And contrary to the advice of one poster I cannot afford to spend upwards of $1,000 on a high quality flintlock at the moment.

You certainly don't need upwards of a grand to get a high quality flintlock. But before you do go for a long rifle, try one. There isn't any good from just buying what you think you like and find out it ain't for you. I did and I foiund out I don't like long rifles. Too late as the money is spent. A 32” barrel is my favorite as is 50 cal.

My list is a TC Hawken as firat choice. A Lyman GPR as second choice. And as a last resort and in a very distant, hmmmmm, third place, Traditions and/or CVA.
The TC and the GPR are not great as they come but for very little they can be as good as anybodies gun.

Bill:

I suggest you get in touch with a nearby muzzleloading club and attend a meeting, match, rendezvous. Talk to people, ask for advice, explain what you're looking for. It's amazing what some folks can produce out of the back of their vault to help a sincerely interested greenhorn.

Contact the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association [nmlra.org]. They can put you in touch with smoke makers in your area.

White Fox

or you could build one from a kit......then it would be something to 'hand down'....or hang over the mantel/fireplace!

Some really good advice already given. I have a high dollar custom flintlock and a 200. dollar T/C Hawken flintlock they are equally reliable,so I'll just talk about Deer hunting with a flintlock. I've had great success with scoped rifles, that's why I wanted to hunt with a flintlock to make it a little more challenging, well to make a long story short I missed the first two does I shot at. They were at close range and broadside. I believe I missed because I wasn't practicing offhand, and probably flinched off the flash in the pan or it might have been the open sights. I'm working harder to be prepared this year. I've talked with other experienced hunters who had the same problem. Flintlocks are addictive and you are at the right place to get started. Best of Luck.

Latest posts

Back