• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing inlays

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I have successfully inlet my ramrod-channel-exposing-mistake-coverup brass inlay.

What method do I use to attach the brass so that it stays in place? It is thin stock and tents to want to spring away from the wood. I'm interested in both the traditional methods and also the modern techniques. My thoughts -- acraglass (or other epoxy) or superglue, plus a couple nails?

Also, at what point do I permanently affix the inlay in the finishing process? Before or after coloring/aging/finishing process?

Thanks in advance, all! :grin:

Tom

I don't know the extent of your inlay, where exactly it will be or what it looks like so one of the builders who have done this before is best to answer that. But you want everything inletted and in place before staining/finishing. All your brass/Iron will clean up afterward.

First off, the brass has to be annealed so it's not springy. I usually form the larger brass inlays and Pbox lids w/ form dies made from hard maple. The type of inlay you're inletting should be permanently fastened before finishing w/ small brass or steel nails or w/ either small flat or oval headed screws. Both the nails and screws are PC. I wouldn't trust just epoxy as the sole means of attachment but it could be used in conjunction w/ the nails or screws...Good luck....Fred

Okay, thanks guys. I annealed it before I did the final shaping but I will do so again. It just has some sharp corners that don't want to lay down flat. I have some brass brads I will use along with some adhesive to make sure it stays in place.

Glue will eventually let loose over the years and isn't HC/PC. It would be best to pin it with steel brads and file the inlay flush with the wood. The pins should hold down the corners that are sticking up.

I use steel brads that are rounded on the underside of the heads. I cut them shorter, drill a hole where I want them to go, lightly countersink the hole, and nail them in place. After filing them off, you aren't really noticeable, even in brass. The originals probably were made of iron, but those are kind of hard to find now. Pinned inlays will never come out. I once glued them too, but now I don't bother.

Another way of doing it is to solder small screws to the underside of the inlay and glue them in place. You need something for the glue to grab ahold of if you don't use pins.

Back