• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inlay Advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripmyfly

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have searched the archives for this & forgive me if I missed my answer. I am working on a large war club. i want a large moon inlay on the gunstock section. Someone told me I could router it out & melt a sterling silver spoon? Another said sliver souder would work. I have wonder if copper would work well & since this is a crude weapon even lead... of course Im afraid that my next child might be born naked if I use lead. :grin: Will any of these metals bond well? Also do I have to have a perfect pour or can I work the top surface smooth after completion? Thanks for any advice!!!

You don't want to pour it. Cut it out of whatever metal you want, then inlet it in, secure with tiny nails. The only practical metal to use in a pour would be pewter, or similar metal because of the high heat required to melt silver, or especially copper.
If you must pour, use pewter. It will not bond, you will have to under cut the cutout, which needs to be about 1/8" deep. A pour needs a mechanical lock in. You can also drill some angled shallow holes in the cutout to help hold the pewter in place.

Back