• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inexpensive flintlocks...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goon,
Don't be bothered by the "inexpensive" Bobcat. I pick them up used at the big gun shows and we use them for the kids at special events. I don't think I've spent more than $50 on any of them. The better part of the story is that you can make them shoot right along with the big boys. There are 3 of them in the rack now and we will always keep a couple around. Efficiency and economy go habd in hand these days.
Mark

ebiggs said:
tg said:
"You can't keep me in the dark especially after the heat I've taken."

Don't close your eyes, drop yer breeches, bend over and back into the fire then belly ache about it getting to hot to suit ya.... :shake:

I have a new motto: "Buy the cheapest manure you can find"

This is the response directed toward me. The only thing I mentioned was my TCs. So just how did I “back into the fire”? I don’t talk that way to others and I don’t expect it from others.
Actually , that statement didn't have anything to do with you.
I'm done with this, beat up on tg for a while, you'll drive him away eventually too. :shake:

Interesting thread for sure !

Awhile back I read a bumper sticker that read like this......"When you buy quality - you only cry once!"

This applies to everything, but is quite applicable to and for all of us one way or another.

GENERAL OBSERVATION

Its amazing how often a simple thread on the MLF like this...a valid question about "inexpensive flintlocks"...gets the custom muzzleloader mentality driven into it as a wedge, causing it to degenerate like this...happens all the time.

The original poster simply stated some budget constraints and asked if we could help him at least get started into the world of Flintlocks.
I've hunted with several used $300-$400 T/Cs for years and will put their reliability and my accomplishments with them up against anybody's accomplishments using expensive custom built muzzleloaders.

IMO, its worth mentioning that while it has come to be expected as a normal occurrance on the MLF, it does not occur on the other handful of muzzleloading websites I've been frequenting for the past couple years. In general, the MLF has a lot to offer...shame this common trend continues to shape it's identify.

:v

It seems that some folks can't refrain from turning a discussion into a personal debate, then they complain when people disagree with them.

We saw this in the Politics forum. People would voice their opinion and then when they heard the opposition, they took it personally and were offended.

Perhaps those who cannot remain objective should simply stay out of some discussions?

What can you expect, when the first few replies contain these unrelated responses?

1. "Don't ask Me, I will give you a rant on the evils of production flintlocks."
2. "Guys here on the flintlock side razz any production flintlock."

Before the guy can even get any information, people are picking sides and taunting the others. :shake:

Having been on many forums about many topics you learn that all have their own opinion.

Goon, if you are not in a club then join one and get a servicable rifle and learn. You do NOT have to have the best or the brightest. I would love a custom but I have a T/C .45 Hawken I got for $150 and it shoots the lights out. I also got a Flint for $150 (not sure WHAT it is but am looking forward to shooting it!!).

I say this, Welcome to the world of Blackpowder and enjoy!! I do not care a lick what you own. Just go have fun and if you are in Indianapolis someday then we will go a'shootin'!! :2

Cheers, Don

msuspartandon said:
Having been on many forums about many topics you learn that all have their own opinion.
That's true of life. My hope is, that when people do give their opinion, it is not a personal jab and that it is somehow related to the subject of the discussion. :wink:

I may have been a little quick with my last post but I spent almost ten years sitting there listening to irate customers about broken CVA's. Always seemed to be during hunting season and some sad story about why the big one got away. Which made it only worse. I've seen just about everything broken on one of that company's guns at one time or another. And only said so. At the same time I remember one T/C coming back with a cracked stock and that was a simulated wood synthetic stock they did a short run on Fire Hawks I believe. T/C found a flaw and stopped all synthetic stock production, so if you happen to have one, your lucky. :v

I can honestly say that I've never met a gun I didn't like. Some I couldn't warm up to but dislike? Naaa! Interesting how folks have different experiences with the same gun. Except for a flint lock on an otherwise excellent rifle, my experiences have all been positive with factory guns. I've even had Traditions call ME about a part I ordered.

I have a US M1841 from Euroarmes that rivals any custom gun I've seen. Quality? It is capable of 1" groups at 50 yards for 5 shots (.54) and has taken deer. It cost about what a GPR on clearance would cost. Don't sell these factory guns short. Their weak points seem to be the locks (for me, the flints). Never had a problem with any percussion lock. Their cost appears to have gotten a bit out of hand but good used ones would be a deal.

Claude said:
It seems that some folks can't refrain from turning a discussion into a personal debate, then they complain when people disagree with them.

We saw this in the Politics forum. People would voice their opinion and then when they heard the opposition, they took it personally and were offended.

Perhaps those who cannot remain objective should simply stay out of some discussions?
I have the solution and I'll implement it immediately.

Mike Brooks said:
Claude said:

I have the solution and I'll implement it immediately.
I don't think his comments were aimed at you Mike.

I don't see why this always has to end up here, neither side is apt to change their view and all that is accomplished is the steady loss of very knowledgable gun students/builders, I have seen many fall by the wayside over the years, the strongest element posting now are folks with only a year or so on the forum and likley not a great deal of ML experience with both types of ML guns, this will shortly be an over the counter ML only forum.

roundball said:
GENERAL OBSERVATION

Its amazing how often a simple thread on the MLF like this...a valid question about "inexpensive flintlocks"...gets the custom muzzleloader mentality driven into it as a wedge, causing it to degenerate like this...happens all the time.

I'm probably pissing into the wind with this post, but that has never stopped me.

The original comments were not about production guns, in general, but the quality issues with "inexpensive" flint guns.

Mr.Brooks, merely stated that the cheap,aka "inexpensive" production guns often have safety issues, in addition to issues with fit and finish.

I have seen, and helped others work through those safety issues with unhardened lock internals that have caused more than one AD. More than several of these cheap guns needed more than simple "tweeking" to make 'em work safely and reliably.

Some of the locks weren't worth "tweeking" because of poor design and workmanship. The issue is NOT necessarily about production guns, but serious quality issues with "inexpensive" pieces.

There are relatively good quality production guns on the market. I, and others, have repeatedly recommended those higher quality production guns, but those recommendations have, apparently, been ignored by the promoters of the cheap production guns.

If all of your "inexpensive" production guns are so great, why do so many buyers replace their lock with L&R replacement locks? For that matter, if L&R didn't sell so many replacement locks, they wouldn't even consider making them.

Yeah, you proponents of the "inexpensive" guns can buy a cheap gun that almost requires a replacement lock..and spend as much as a higher quality piece, in the process of making it work reliably.

I realize that many who post here have never had a decent quality gun in their hands, in the six months, or so they have been in this hobby, but feel qualified to expound on the high quality of their particular piece.

Those of us who have been in the hobby for 30-40 years, or more, have a LOT of experience with all sorts of production, semi custom and full custom pieces. IMHO, without that experience, no one can possibly imagine the issues with cheap, not as cheap, and even expensive guns, that us old Grey beards have seen or dealt with.

IMHO, Mr.Brooks and the other full time builders that frequent this forum...or used to frequent this forum, have seen so much junk out there that they may be a little jaded. However, they probably have forgotten more about the hobby than most of the posters on these forums have ever learned, and their opinions are dismissed as "elitist" BS because they offer honest opinions, based on REAL TIME experience in all aspects of the hobby.

To be honest, I sometimes wonder why I waste my time posting on this forum. Most of the readers seem to have there minds made up when they ask a question. They don't seem to want to hear the truth about their guns/gear/clothing, based on research, but instead seem to want verification of their own guns/gear/clothing based on wishful thinking and so called "common knowledge"...and we get bashed for sharing our years, often 20-40 years of hard work and research.

Well folks, I'm about fed up. Like Mr. Brooks, I call him that because I respect his knowledge and his desire to share, I'm about ready to give up on a forum of people whose vision only extends to the end of their nose.I'm done with those folks who bash anyone who is willing to offer their years of hard work and experience to newbies who often seem to want someone else to do their research for them, them complain when actual research doesn't conform with their concept of what is.

Drove my Chevy to the levey but the levy was dry.....the day....the music died

Hi ebiggs,

it is a kit which is about 15 years old. The former owner told me that he had replaced the lock already by T/C new model one.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Poor goon will probably never come back...

Reminds me of the guy who walks into a restaurant with only 10 bucks and says I only have ten bucks what can I buy and the owner starts yelling at the guy that his restaurant would never have anything at such a low price because anything that costs that little is not worth eating, and the poor guy has to sit and listen because the owner is in his face and won't let him leave until the owner is done telling him exactly what is wrong with a less than $10 meal and how his meals are so much better and all the why's and therefore's...

goon, I hope your dad enjoys the Bobcat and hopefully you might get into Flintlocks and hunting with one more yourself!

Just finished up shooting my cheapie flinter. What a good day! And i even used a Sub powder to boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back