• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inaugural Spring Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roguedog

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I finally got out in the woods this morning for the first time since turkey season opened. I'd like to say I got an early start but did not. I stepped out on the deck this morning at 4:00 a.m. and it was just a bit too cold for me and the coffee a bit too good. I guess I'm not as eager about turkey hunting as I was 20 years ago, but then again, that lack of eagerness can be applied to a lot of things in my life.

I finally made it to the woods and began the morning by heading back to my usual creek bottom haunt. It was about 8:30 or so as I entered the woods and was pleasantly surprised when I spooked two barred owls off their roost just a short distance ahead of me. As luck would have it, they landed not far off and I stood there and enjoyed them for a few minutes. It's moments like this that remind me of why I enjoy the woods so much. It's hard to articulate, but I just get a sense of overwhelming relaxation being in the quiet peace of the woodlands. There's no noise, no kids screaming, no wife yelling at me. It's just me and the creatures of the forest.

I was feeling a bit tired and the thought of walking all the way down to the creek seemed a bit imposing at the moment so I decided to sit down on top of the ridge and just listen. I had my trusty box call and I would stroke off a series of yelps on the box every fifteen minutes or so. This went on for a couple of hours with no response. Just for the heck of it I picked up my wingbone and let out a few yelps and immediately got an answer from a bird that seemed to be lower down on the ridge on which I was sitting. He seemed to be a good bit away and nearer to the creek so I thought I would see if I could lure him up the hill. Interestingly enough, the only thing he would answer was my wingbone. No matter how many times, I used my box, he would not answer it, but he would answer the wingbone. This went on for awhile and it appeared that the bird was moving away from me. I was certainly not surprised by this move. As I have mentioned before, turkeys have a predictable way of not following the script.

At this point, I figured it was time to make a move. I slipped down the old logging road to the creek without making a sound. I crossed the creek and sat up under a big oak tree. Once I got positioned and had everything in place, I stroked off a few yelps on the box. No answer. I waited about 15 minutes and tried again. Again no answer. Fifteen minutes later I called again, this time using the wingbone. Boom! A gobbler answered my call and this time he was fairly close. He seemed to be just up on the ridge above me, maybe 100 yards or so away. I hunkered down and got ready. Guess what? No gobbler came. I had some hens answering from behind me and called to them for awhile hoping I might drag a gobbler in with them but to no avail. Everything just got quiet like it often times does. I maintained my vigil for another 30-45 minutes and decided to head back home. It was getting close to 2:00 p.m. and the clouds were starting to turn dark and I didn't feel like getting wet.

No turkey was harvested this morning but at least I did have a run in with a bird. I have also gained a new appreciation for a wingbone call. Maybe it provides a different tone or frequency that birds are not used to hearing? Who knows but at least now I feel I have the confidence to use it. I hope to get back out there on Friday and maybe this time I can make some medicine. It sure is nice to be back in the Spring turkey woods once again.

Jeff

Sounds like it's time to quit lugging that box call along. Beautiful description of the morning woods, wish I could get out more.
Good luck with those birds.
Ed

Any time in the woods is great Jeff.
I blanked yesterday eve too...was only looking for a rabbit but loved every minute.

Great report and thanks :hatsoff:

B.

As life gets busier and demands get greater, I find that I simply enjoy the experience of being in the woods. It is truly therapy for me. While tagging a turkey is nice, it is not the primary reason for me going. The experience is that much better carrying a muzzleloading weapon. In my case, I have been toting my Pedersoli 12 gauge SxS for years now and it has made for a nice companion.

Jeff

Back