• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

inappropriate ram rod use

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently reading a mountain man themed fiction novel. Note: I said fiction. While a good story that borrows on a lot of historical facts, the author is using some worn out not so real ideas. e.g. He promotes the notion that mountain men only used real Hawken rifles.
However, he also includes some scenes that have me scratching my head where he got these ideas. :youcrazy: The one that bothers me the most is during their camps they cook meat over the fire holding it with their ramrods. :shocked2: A nutso thing to do in my opinion. Sure way to burn up and ruin that life saving wiping stick. Oh, well. Still a fun read.

Colorado Clyde said:
I heard a similar story but it was soldiers using steel ramrods.

I'd attribute it to "artistic license" and "dramatic affect". :haha:

Definitely is creative license. But, what bothers me is, in this ml/ronny game some beginners will believe anything they read. There are quite a few mountain man books out there that are great reads but the 'facts' presented are often based on imagination.

I'm sure that somewhere sometime someone actually used their ramrod to cook over the fire.....

Just like someone probably killed a native by shooting them with their ramrod....Doesn't mean ramrod target shoots will be on the Friendship roster.

When it comes to stupid things there are no limits or bounds to what people will do....It's how humans have learned for aeons.

I can see soldiers cooking with their ramrods; as an infantryman, many years ago, we cooked meat on our bayonets!!

Just to illustrate the point that people do funny things, as an armourer I once removed a barrel obstruction that was a broken pull through complete with a small button on the piece of shirt that had been used as a cleaning patch.

It all depends on which end of the RR is used to cook the meat....as far as flavour. But, as far as weakening the RR due to the fire, I imagine a "big" fire wasn't used for obvious reasons and meat can be cooked w/o holding the meat directly over the flames and thereby charring the RR.

If the RR was stuck into the ground at an angle away from the flames. the grease of the meat might run down and temper the RR...better than kerosene.

Of course bushes and trees could supply "sticks" for roasting meat, fish and marshmallows over a fire......Fred

It was common for soldiers to use iron/steel ramrods as skewers for cooking over fires and bayonets as candle sticks. The candle going in the socket and the point in the ground.

Smokey Plainsman said:
I came across a film on the youtube where a man was using a ramrod by seating the ball, then SMASHING THE ROD AGAINST A TREE to get the ball down.

Was that on the Comedy Channel ? . :rotf:

Smokey Plainsman said:
I came across a film on the youtube where a man was using a ramrod by seating the ball, then SMASHING THE ROD AGAINST A TREE to get the ball down. :rotf: :surrender: :barf:

Well, I did have to do that once to get a maxi ball to seat that was stuck half way down a dirty barrel.

You should have posted the video for all to enjoy.

Colorado Clyde said:
Smokey Plainsman said:
I came across a film on the youtube where a man was using a ramrod by seating the ball, then SMASHING THE ROD AGAINST A TREE to get the ball down. :rotf: :surrender: :barf:

Well, I did have to do that once to get a maxi ball to seat that was stuck half way down a dirty barrel.

You should have posted the video for all to enjoy.

:metoo: Gotta be carefull not to snap the rod though. The time I did it I was trying to get a PRB down after sticking maybe 1/2. Had just started trying the Dutch System and wasnt swiping with a damp enough patch I believe. Thats the time I ended up having a mechanic down the street assist in fabricating a ball puller/slide hammer. 4.5 hours later it came out :cursing: NO IDEA why it wouldnt go down. At home even tried a steel rod and hammer, NOPE.

Back