• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In the long debated matter...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
an Empirical Study was conducted today on a Queen Anne pistol. First pyrodex was ground down to a usable grade for the pan. fresh Flint and clean gun. 15 grains in the barrel with no ball. Gun went off but with a very long flaring between the pan and the barrel charge. repeated 6X with the gun fouling so much halfway thorough after 3 tries. Clean pan poked touch hole and continued on with the completion of 6 tries. Each was pretty much the same as the other. Upon cleanup heavy residue on pan and in barrel.

Repeated same with BP. And the results were much faster ignition with no lag time. Powder that was used was 2f for each.

Summation: when one says P Dex cannot be used in a Flintlock it stands half true. I can be used but certainly not up to the burn standards of B P

I imagine when supplies are low for regular B P. Pdex can fill the role not just as well. Pdex also in this short time really darkened up the barrel around the lock region.

Yep. I tried Pyrodex 3f in my .60 Fusil de Chasse a couple years go. I used the powder just as it came for the main charge and prime. Also used a wad and a load of shot. It did work, but not very well. All I proved to myself was it could be used if I absolutely had to. But, I have real black and don’t have to use substitute powder.

Back