• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I wish I knew

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad ford

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good morning. I have had these two guns for 18 years and have no idea what type of guns they are. I was hoping someone would be able to help me identify them.
image.jpg

Top one is from Morocco , a snaphaunce lock. Bottom one is an Algerian miquelet. Impossible to date as they were made and used for a long long time in those regions. Careful, they may still be loaded!
Ok. I would have never guessed that. Thanks so much for your help. I was guessing the late 1700’s

As Sam said, top is a Moukhala from Morocco using a Snaphaunce lock and bottom is a Kabyle from Algeria using a Miquelet lock in the style of the Catalan "Agujeta". Should check the underside of the lock on the Kabyle, sometimes they are dated (in Arabic)

tangier 1880s fix.jpg

kabyle.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. I would have never guessed that. Thanks so much for your help. I was guessing the late 1700’s
Much agree with Posts #2 and #4. Many that are unfamiliar with these guns tend to think they are older than they actually are. Either one or both could be from the tail end of the 18th Century. But they are likely from the first half of the 19th Century. As mentioned, the Locals used these guns at least through the 3rd Quarter of the 1800's, and probably a bit later. Progress was very slow in those regions.

Rick

Back