• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Thought Muskets Were Smoothbore by Definition?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many references to the British commanders considering it "ungentlemanly " to actually aim at officers. The British were so stong at this belief that the Ferguson rifles where put into storage after only one engagement. The commanders considered it ungentalmanly to aim at officers and feared that the time taken to aim would spread out the firing from vollys to individual shots making the hearing of commands difficult. But then that is just my memory of what I have read from several sources which I don't happen to have at my computer. But if any of you have back issues of Muzzle Blasts you can look up the articles on the Fergusion rifles. :hmm: :hmm:

ohio ramrod said:
There are many references to the British commanders considering it "ungentlemanly" to actually aim at officers.
I'll grant that the officer class discouraged deliberately targeting their brothers-in-arms on the other side, but that does not mean that any nation or service deliberately herniated their primary offensive weapon on that count. Nor am I aware of anyone actively discouraging their soldiers from taking some sort of aim, at least from the mid-18th century on.

Paul, all Charlevilles that I've seen from the model of 1728 on have a front sight mounted on the front barrel band, whether they had the bayonet lug on the top or on the bottom (mostly the later ones AIUI), as did the various Austrian, Belgian, Prussian, U.S., and Russian muskets inspired by or copied from the Charleville.

Regards,
Joel

I believe there was qite a bit of individual taste as to officers choosing to fire on others of rank, Ferguson had no taste for it, Morgan found it usefull, Tarlton likley would show no hesitation about it, I think that warfare in general was on the dawn of some very major changes at this time.

True. That is why the patriot Riflemen were so feared and disliked by the British. There are quotes from British officers claiming the Rifleman's tactics (we might call them snipers today) were no way to fight a war.

I didn't read it. But most of us know that firearms terminology is often confusing. As I have long understood it, a "musket" was a military smoothbore but any ml smoothie could be called a musket. Then along comes the CW and they (or is it "we"?) call their firearms 'rifled muskets'. That's an oxymoron but that is what it is and they are. Are we confused yet? :confused: Nothing has changed even with modern firearms. e.g. a .38 Special is really smaller than .36 caliber.
As a reenactor who portrays the Rev. Rifleman and gives presentations to groups I have many times been introduced as having my "musket loader" :shocked2: with me. Oh, well.

There was tacit agreement in the English civil war that the Rabonets would not be used to pick off the officers, but I think they took their chances with the musquettes (no bayonets, pike) :grin:

Rifleman1776 said:
True. That is why the patriot Riflemen were so feared and disliked by the British. There are quotes from British officers claiming the Rifleman's tactics (we might call them snipers today) were no way to fight a war.
The patriots were fighting for independence, so I am quite sure they had no real interest in adhering to some "unwritten" code dictated by European tradition or history. The British also brought some of this on themselves when they targeted civilians. At that point, I think most us can agree that all bets were off when it came to tactics.
Dan

This is just me guessing, but if guns like the Winchester 1866, 1894 and 1895 (Like were provided to the Russians in WWI) were called muskets due to their having extra long BBLs and having bayonets and being robust enough for battle.

The FN FAL has the word Fusil in it as does the French bullpup FAMAS in service now. Fusil meaning Musket?

Proper or not I still like to call my EA smoothbore a "musket". Yes, it's a civilian's gun but that's what minutemen/militia men carried.

The term "civilized warfare" is a MAJOR oxymoron.

Yep. I do the same. I even call my little Canoe Gun a musket....it is easier and makes the little feller feel good! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back