• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I think I have a House rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful rifle. What a shame. Some people should be beaten on sheer principle!

That's terrible!

Reminds me of the longbow that came in a 90 degree box!!! I really don't like usps!

Had insured for 5000, and they said improper packing.Sold to track for 1375. Took my money and bought 2 kits from track.

its hard believing that a rifle maker the likes of House [any of them] would choose a stick of wood that didn't "bend" at the wrist so that the grain ran THRU and not ACROSS the wrist. but then I magine stranger things have happened.

I hope you got more then the #5000.00 insurance for such a dandy rifle ... broke or not.

A friend told me how to remove the barrel. On the underside at the breech end is stamped: GETZ BEAVERTOWN PA. .50 1/66". Then in what looks like an electric engraver #23522 1" Dickert. I have the number for Getz barrels and plan on calling them.
I have been contemplating this rifle since I started this forum. It has lived in a closet since I won it, I have never fired it. I have talked to the kids and wife, and none are attached to it. I am trying to "thin the herd" here at home and ML is not even a hobby of mine. I think the only reason I keep it is because it is, literally, the only thing I have ever won!

In my opinion it needs some TLC because if she rusts up the value starts to really diminish.

This rifle wants to be a very fine Kentucky, unfortunately, it's not. You may be able to get a date range from Getz but that's about all.

This rifle looks to have been built by a talented amateur as there are some minor flaws in it's construction.
The builder would have been better off to pay closer attention to architectural detail rather than the caving decoration which IMHO is mediocre. Also being mounted in German Silver rather than brass may hurt it's appeal to some.

With that said a rifle such a yours, "well kept and cared for" could bring as much as $2000.00 if you sold it at the right place, were patient and lucky. Personally I think it's a solid $1500 rifle with the extreme low end being $800 ish.

If contemplating a sale you have to put in in the right market. The local centerfire gun shop would only value it at $300 to $700 so you have to find it's market.
If selling...good luck
If you decide to keep it and join in...good luck too. :hatsoff:

Thanks 54! The lock is a Chambers, but the rifle was not made from one of their kits. Still trying to get through to Getz. I will let you know as I learn more.

Latest posts

Back