• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I just ordered a Lyman plains kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolink654

32 Cal.
Reaction score
In .50 percussion, after much reading on this forum.
I have a .50 Cabelas hawkens, .50 CVA bobcat, some Ardesa made .50 'kentucky' and a Traditions inline I know, I know, what can I say? But the Bobcat is my favorite, light, quick, goes bang everytime, it was cheap, it killed 3 deer with 80gr and PRB this year, and in reality, my sidelocks are easier to clean than the inline.

Anyway, this is the pistol forum afterall.
What all will I need to finish the kit?
I've got, or will buy tomorow, or is on its way:
LMF browning solution
New, good, files & rasp
Sandpaper, various types & grits
Chisels, hobby knives, ect.
Tru-oil and boiled linseed oil, not sure which I'm gonna use or wether I'm going to stain or not, gonna wait and see how it looks wetted with water first
Lots of patches and roundball, various conicals, FFFG powder :grin:
Anything I'm missing?

Oh, my only experiance thus far is refinishing/modifying pellet/BB gun stocks, cause they are cheap, and I dont have to worry about messin up a chunk of money, so far I been pleased with all I've done.

You didn't mention the most important things.

You've got this Forum.
You'll need plenty of time.
Don't rush anything and it will turn out great! :)

I envy your "all 50" arsenal, I shoot .50, .44, .451 and I am building a 0.36. Every new caliber requires new accessories. I think I will end up with four toolboxes, one per gun, to carry balls, patches, jags, etc.

I got time
I dont have gunsmith screwdrivers, but I have ammased a large set of odd shaped (compared to 'standard' driver sizes), and know the importance of proper fit. Some I've ground to fit, ect.

When I first started muzzle loading, my grandpa gave me a .50, we just kept both buying percussion .50s. That way if one of us forget something, at the range or feild, chances are the other one would have it. I dont need or want a .45 or .54, but somethin around .70 would be fun, as would a .32 or so.

I see in some pics of some custom guns a plate on the opposite side of the lock, replaceing the button/washer thing under the screw that goes into the lock.
Does anyplace sell one small for a pistol?

How much smaller on average are the pistol locks compared to average rifle locks? Just a rough guess will do here, like 10%, 20% smaller?

It sounds like you have thought this one out very well. Interesting thing about the lyman lock. It has a fly on the tumbler. This little rocker keeps the sear from falling into the half-cock notch even when the full cock sear engagement is minimal. It is a necessary thing for set triggers.

While the Lyman doesn't have a set trigger option, I have found that I can (carefully and pointed don't range) hold the hammer and pull the trigger slightly until I feel a click. The sear now is very lightly engaged and will go off with just a few ounces pressure on the trigger. I believe what is happening is that the sear is now riding on the fly rather than in the full cock notch- just as would happen if a mechanical set trigger were present.

Lyman Plains Pistols are massively accurate.

e-article from guns magazine Oct, 2005[url] http://www.amazon.com/exec/ob...102-5601288-1040932?v=glance&s=books&n=507846[/url]

Book with chapter on Lyman Plains Pistol:[url] http://www.amazon.com/exec/ob...d-keywords=mike+cumpston&Go.x=16&Go.y=10[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back