• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I joined the dry ball club today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, only been shooting black powder for a couple of years now, still consider myself "new" to the sport; until today. I always heard if you shoot muzzleloaders enough it's a when not an if , on dry balling. Told myself "I'll never do that, I'm careful", well I was getting some good groups, things were going well, got excited and it happened. As soon as I smacked the short starter I knew what I did. I tried the air compressor and that didn't work, so I pulled the vent liner and trickled about 20 grs. of 2F in the breach, then replaced the liner and seated the ball. Fired it at the berm and watch the ball hit the dirt at about 50 yds. Easy peasy,, back to shooting in no time. That was the first. I'm sure it won't be the last; all part of the experience.

:ghostly:many members in this club. i did it last sunday. had friends up for a shoot. yacking and not paying attention. seems there is a voice in the short starter that whispers to you "dummy, there is nothing under me" knew the instant i smacked it.
have a rubber nozzle on an air gun. popped right out. 2nd time this year. getting old i guess.
Oh yeah, 160lbs air pressure behind a .535 ball will dent a Ford Escapes fender.

Lol, heck my chemo addled brain has me dry ballin almost every range trip anymore. Lol
I do remember the first time, and having no mentor back far too long ago, I had to sit down with a coffee and ponder on it a bit. Then it hit, grease zerk and gun. Worked great but took time to clean up afterwards. Shortly after that I discovered pulling the nipple and working a bit o’powder in was way easier. Never looked back unless it’s a stuck ball part way down.
Walk

:ghostly:many members in this club. i did it last sunday. had friends up for a shoot. yacking and not paying attention. seems there is a voice in the short starter that whispers to you "dummy, there is nothing under me" knew the instant i smacked it.
have a rubber nozzle on an air gun. popped right out. 2nd time this year. getting old i guess.
Oh yeah, 160lbs air pressure behind a .535 ball will dent a Ford Escapes fender.
My compressor only went to 120 psi and I tried it with the ball still 3" from the muzzle, didn't work. Not sure if I seated it against the breach if it would have worked .

Since the ball was up near the muzzle I was able to trickle powder in the vent then seat the ball . Don't now what the minimum is to get a ball to leave a 34" barrel, but about 15 to 20 grain popped it out with some oomph.

My compressor only went to 120 psi and I tried it with the ball still 3" from the muzzle, didn't work. Not sure if I seated it against the breach if it would have worked .

Since the ball was up near the muzzle I was able to trickle powder in the vent then seat the ball . Don't now what the minimum is to get a ball to leave a 34" barrel, but about 15 to 20 grain popped it out with some oomph.
In a 32 crockett, 32" barrel, 15 to 20 grains is a hunting load.

I had my first dry ball a few weeks ago. I was by myself so no excuse about being distracted. I was able to work some 4f in through the touch hole with my pick, and when I thought it was enough I fired it off. Instead of a bang I got a poof, but I could see the ball leave the barrel and go about halfway to the target stand.

Well, only been shooting black powder for a couple of years now, still consider myself "new" to the sport; until today. I always heard if you shoot muzzleloaders enough it's a when not an if , on dry balling. Told myself "I'll never do that, I'm careful", well I was getting some good groups, things were going well, got excited and it happened. As soon as I smacked the short starter I knew what I did. I tried the air compressor and that didn't work, so I pulled the vent liner and trickled about 20 grs. of 2F in the breach, then replaced the liner and seated the ball. Fired it at the berm and watch the ball hit the dirt at about 50 yds. Easy peasy,, back to shooting in no time. That was the first. I'm sure it won't be the last; all part of the experience.
Ever since Covid…every few weeks, I keep renewing my membership to the Dry-Ball club.

About 4 or 5 grains of powder will send a dry ball out of the barrel. You do need to watch carefully for that tiny bit of smoke at the muzzle as the repot is so soft that you not think the ball has departed.

About 4 or 5 grains of powder will send a dry ball out of the barrel. You do need to watch carefully for that tiny bit of smoke at the muzzle as the repot is so soft that you not think the ball has departed.
I, once, kept trying over and over, to trickle powder in behind the ball, and discharge the dry-ball…about 7 times…only to find out that the ball was gone. Guy at the table next to me, finally said, “Yeah, I saw it go on the first try…”

I shoot with a mean crowd…

Back