• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I got my deer tag and I am ready to go!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went into the deep brush were no sane person would shoot a deer and sure enough he was in there. I followed him all careful like and I lost him. I did find him after some searching but my trail took me across the street to see a "No traping, hunting or fishing. Trespasers will be prosecuted" sign staring me in the face. About 200 yards away my deer was grazing away without a clue I was there.
I watched him for about 30 minutes before he headed deeper into the area I couldn't go and I lost sight of him.

Last season I didn't get a shot until the very last day and connected with a large doe. The two seasons before that I got skunked completely. I had only moved from Georgia to Virginia the fall of 2008. I thought I'd be able to continue getting several deer each season same as I had always done back home. In fact It had taken me years to kill my first deer back when I was a kid. At that time there still weren't all that many deer in Ga. at that time.

Virginia didn't have the 12 deer limit I'd gotten use to and, it seemed to me, not as many deer either. Hunting conditions were just a bit different here in the mountain forest areas. Don't get discouraged.

Yes, I know, sometimes we all need a good cry and make contact with our inner girl :shocked2: :hmm: . Seriously, it did teach me patience.

cynthialee said:
I went into the deep brush were no sane person would shoot a deer and sure enough he was in there. I followed him all careful like and I lost him. I did find him after some searching but my trail took me across the street to see a "No traping, hunting or fishing. Trespasers will be prosecuted" sign staring me in the face. About 200 yards away my deer was grazing away without a clue I was there.
I watched him for about 30 minutes before he headed deeper into the area I couldn't go and I lost sight of him.

Sounds like that edge of your property would be a good place to set up an early morning ambush, then wait him to come out.

Day 8 no deer for me.
This evening I did spot some "antlers" and a "body", I stood and waited for it to move for about 3-5 minutes then it dawned on me I was looking at a bush and a log in just the right position... :haha: Yes I felt dumb as a box of rocks.

Scrapeing and salting that hide from Matts deer whooped me good. My back is killing me!

Wow, this sounds like a real hunt to remember. You are certainly earning your stripes on this first hunt. Please dont get down on yourself if u do not score this first time. There is no shame in failure to score. Embrass the time you have had as one with nature and learn your lessons well. Your time will come. We learn by failure. If it were easy it would just be target shooting. Hold your head high and never never give up!

cynthialee said:

I know you're running out of time, or maybe already done, but do you have any idea whose property it is that was posted? A neighborly request might be granted, lots of time they just want to keep the non-locals out.

cynthialee said:
then it dawned on me I was looking at a bush and a log in just the right position...

Been there, done that (who hasn't?). I've even snuck up on antlered bushes, and after realizing my mistake, I was glad nobody was around to see me. One time I took like ten minutes sneaking around a big cedar bush, just to find the deer bedded under it mysteriously turned into a big rock. :rotf: Bill

Reminds me of the time me and a buddy spotted some Turkeys about a 1/2 mile away. Put the sneak on them only to find out they were crows. :doh:

Reminds me of years ago a trip into Cades Cove in the great smokey mountain national park. We were hunting black bear with our 35 mm cameras( low power lenses). And i swore i saw a beautiful one climbing a fencepost in middle of an opening. We hauled butt as fast as we could to get around there by car on the road. For the life of me, i didnt know why that bear hadnt moved by the time we got around there. Well curiosity got the best of me and i started walking toward that bear to get a better shot. Unfortunately, i soon realized that my beautiful black bear was actually a big lump of moss and leafy plants growing on the side of the post. It was one long walk back to the car and became quite embarrasing to admit i had really located what is now known as a Cades Cove Moss Bear. I will never live that down. I still get a hard time from my brother in law (who was with us) to this day.

Go get that buck cynthia lee. We are all rootin' for ya.

Well this years deer season comes to a close for me. I did not find my 4 point buck. It is ok though. I know that if it had been a survival situation or a any deer legal hunt I would have got one. The place crawls with bambis. Just the big guys are elusive.

I had a good time. I saw this property from end to end and side to side. I made a new friend and shared in his good fortune on a successful hunt.
I was there with a deer as it expired watching him carefully for any sign he may still have some life in him, ready to finish the job if needed. His passing was rather quik and it was not overly stressful.

This evening I went up to the pond and just sat there watching a pretty duck and chewing out the chipmunk that spent a large part of the last week yelling at me. He don't know it but I shot him at least 10 times in my imagination for his incesant chatter. He will likely be there chewing me out next time we take the dogs for a nature walk, which I am sure they are over due for. Since the season started they have been denied the back property.

When it dawned on me I could no longer stay out as it was geting twilight I had a bit of a teary eyed moment. Not for the failed hunt, but because the illusion of freedom was vanishing. Starting tommorow I no longer have the legal right to shoot a buck on my land. The laws of the land govern when and what we can hunt. Also the thought that future generations may not have this type of experiance weighed on my heart.

Thank you all for the encouragement and for following my first go at this. Your support meant alot.

hugz

Doesn't Washington state have a regular rifle season? In B.C. bow and black powder hunters can still hunt in the rifle season!

War Hawk said:
Doesn't Washington state have a regular rifle season? In B.C. bow and black powder hunters can still hunt in the rifle season!
yes but I do not have a multi season license
If I had put in for it and actually got the draw for it then I could hunt the CF open season with a muzzel loader. However I just have a simple muzzel loader hunting license. There are other places in Washington I could go to for the late muzzel loading season but it isn't going to happen this year.

In B.C., one license covers both rifle and bow season!(we don't have a ML season) There is only a draw for grizzly(saw 3 tonight), dall sheep, bison and roosevelt elk! Everything else is genral open season! Thank you for clarifying your seasons for me!!!

dont worry cynthia there is always next year. but like you said, if your up for it you could hit up late season in some of the nearby GMUs. those areas are any deer (if memory serves me right) which would pretty much garantee your tag wont go to waste. all you need to do is apply the skills you learned treking around durring the early season and im sure you will do fine. believe me that if i hadnt nailed that buck i would be all over the late season, i dont think i could handle watching my deer tag expire when i knew a sure bet deer could be found.

-Matt

You will get em next year!

I think everybody was pulling for you!

The memories are the most important part of the hunt any way!

SC45-70

Back