• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I found an original civil war Enfield rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_20240513-194032~2.png
Screenshot_20240513-194037~2.png
Screenshot_20240513-194047~2.png

It appears to me that it is an Enfield that was fitted to a Springfield stock. It looks like a possibly non concentric bore and as I said before it's roughhhh. I think it's save able but for the price I'm paying worst case it becomes a cheap bp shotgun.

I want to hear what people have to say. Is it real what is going on with it. Why is it a smoothie and not a rifled .577.

If it's smooth bored, It may have come via India. Smooth bore Enfields were issued to native troops. Maybe some in N.A as well?
I have read that as well but from what I understand those are incredibly rare. Sadly this one dose not have the original lock or lock and the finish is pretty bad. If it did come from India why/ how would it get back here. I can't tell what caliber it is but based on the picture I want to say 60+. What caliber were the ones that got sent to india

I have read that as well but from what I understand those are incredibly rare. Sadly this one dose not have the original lock or lock and the finish is pretty bad. If it did come from India why/ how would it get back here. I can't tell what caliber it is but based on the picture I want to say 60+. What caliber were the ones that got sent to india
Are you really asking how Indian pattern Enfields would have gotten here?

That is not a Springfield stock. The lock and side plate moldings are far different and there are other indications too.
The lock plate doesn't line up to the stock so it clearly doesn't go to the stock. I have no actual clue what it is it just doesn't seem to be an original stock. I was thinking because of the way the bands are held in place that it was a Springfield

No Enfield was ever made with the offset tang.

Nor with crudely incised cut-out marks for the lockplate screw escutcheons.

From what I have read for those particular rifle only about 10,000 were made. If they started here and went to India I doubt very many made it back.
The Enfield was an English musket. We didn’t make them here, but there was 1 contractor that made copies. IMA has been importing large hordes of Nepalese and Indian muskets for 2-3 decades now.

I don't think it's a legit Enfield, maybe one of the Nepalese or Afghan made copies. No markings, lock panels shaped wrong, crude workmanship.

Latest posts

Back