• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I’ve Been Busy-Turkey Season is Coming

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably no body trapping any more and there’s to many coyotes and Bob cats and other critters that like eat them ,just a thought .
That could be true Walt. A few years back I had read where large numbers of turkey in New York state were killed off due to disease. Doesn't help either that the fisher numbers here in PA are getting bad. Everytime I see one when hunting, I have to talk myself out of being an outlaw and killing it. Fishers kill for the heck of it.

Coons, skunks and possum are expert at finding nests and love those eggs. For those that make it to poult-hood we have an over abundance of birds of prey, and then martins, coyotes, and fox. We used to have a couple very healthy flocks around here, that's all changed in the last fifteen years. I keep hoping for a come back but so far I'm not seeing it.
Robin

I think there are a bunch of factors including predation and disease. I know that the decline started with a late hard freeze up here that eliminated a food source, at least I started noticing the next few following years. Had a bunch of turkeys, then they are just gone. Another thing to pay attention to is the crazy amount of new hunters, it's gonna get seriously dangerous with TSS and the influx of new hunters!! These little TSS 9's will shoot through a trash barrel at 40-50 yards the days of getting peppered may be over. If you get hit with that stuff, you might not see your kids that night!

@Ricochet, I swapped out my camera card today and was pleased with what I saw. But as you were saying, the overall numbers are down. I use to see large groups of poults with the hens, haven’t seen that in years. My land offers good habitat, hills going down to bottoms with a live, sandy, rocky creek.

Attachments

• IMG_3396.jpeg
    IMG_3396.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3403.jpeg
    IMG_3403.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3401.jpeg
    8.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3405.jpeg
    IMG_3405.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
That could be true Walt. A few years back I had read where large numbers of turkey in New York state were killed off due to disease. Doesn't help either that the fisher numbers here in PA are getting bad. Everytime I see one when hunting, I have to talk myself out of being an outlaw and killing it. Fishers kill for the heck of it.
Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

@Ricochet, I swapped out my camera card today and was pleased with what I saw. But as you were saying, the overall numbers are down. I use to see large groups of poults with the hens, haven’t seen that in years. My land offers good habitat, hills going down to bottoms with a live, sandy, rocky creek.
When did you want me to show up for the hunt

Wanted to share this with you guys. Ricochet made me this Curly Maple trumpet. Not only is it heirloom quality, it sounds as good as it looks. And Bob is a hellofa nice guy also.

Attachments

• IMG_20240318_184836018.jpg
    IMG_20240318_184836018.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I reproduced the design from my great uncle’s box call that he bought in the early 1920’s. Made out of eastern red cedar his recollection was he took somewhere between 120 and 130 gobblers over a period of about 50 years hunting with that call. He quit hunting somewhere in his 70’s and then gave it to his son, my second cousin, who figured he killed a little over 40 or 50 gobblers with it. He hunted with it well into his 80’s and passed away a few years ago at 92.

Here is a box call design that I make myself.View attachment 307511
Thats' an interesting call Secesh. I like making my own box calls and would like to try my hand at your design. Any chance you could show more of it with dimensions? I had a huge black cherry tree come down this winter and have plans to make call's from some of it, Your design would be kinda cool.
Robin

Wanted to share this with you guys. Ricochet made me this Curly Maple trumpet. Not only is it heirloom quality, it sounds as good as it looks. And Bob is a hellofa nice guy also.
Thank you for the kind words and I am glad you like your trumpet, I surely do appreciate it!! It was fun to work through the build with you! Sure hope to see a picture with it on a big ol bird this spring!!

Thank you for the kind words and I am glad you like your trumpet, I surely do appreciate it!! It was fun to work through the build with you! Sure hope to see a picture with it on a big ol bird this spring!!
Hopefully I'll send you 2 pictures Bob, one with the turkey and the trumpet, and one with that turkeys breast in the smoker 😉

Thats' an interesting call Secesh. I like making my own box calls and would like to try my hand at your design. Any chance you could show more of it with dimensions? I had a huge black cherry tree come down this winter and have plans to make call's from some of it, Your design would be kinda cool.
Robin

I recorded all of the measurements and put them away, that has been 40 years ago but I do have them. Just a matter of going through my stash of drawings.

You did a good job on that scratch box Secesh, I bet it sounds good! A well built scratch box call can hold its own against any other type call built in my opinion, they just sound like a turkey! Who made the original call, I have seen that type before just can’t remember who made it. The distinct turkey spur sound holes give it away.

Back