• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting accident in CT with a musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, this is probably a poorly researched and poorly written article,,, that's why I asked if anyone had more info.

I agree, this is probably a poorly researched and poorly written article,,, that's why I asked if anyone had more info.

Well you got lots of reply's and answer's expect the one you were looking for.

People are plain stupid.
Several years ago, here in South Georgia, and man and his teenage son went out on the first day of deer season. The father saw movement in the distance, and shot at it. Put a round right through his son's head. This is why I refuse to hunt where other people are. Stupid people are everywhere, and they breed.

I live just over the border and I hunt Connecticut but this is the first i have heard of this.​

ML season is in December. Generally when someone is hunting with a ML in the regular rifle season it is because they are prohibited from owning, possessing, or using a firearm.

Bob

Police: South Windsor man who lied about shooting other hunter said he was following club 'protocol'​

SOUTH WINDSOR — A local hunter accused of accidentally shooting and injuring another hunter and lying about it told police he was following their hunting club's protocol to keep such incidents "in-house," according to a police affidavit.

James Dina, 81, said that was how things had been during his 30 years in the club, and he had followed the protocol himself before when he was hit in the face when a pellet fired into the air fell back to the ground, the affidavit states. He was able to remove the pellet himself and the hunters agreed not to report what happened, the document says.

The affidavit does not name the club.

Police: South Windsor man who lied about shooting other hunter said he was following club 'protocol'

South Windsor man charged after shooting hunter and lying about incident​

SOUTH WINDSOR, Conn. (WTNH) – A South Windsor man is facing charges after he allegedly shot another hunter and then lied about the incident to police.

Police arrested 81-year-old James Dina of South Windsor on Wednesday and is facing charges of negligent hunting in the second degree and interfering with an officer.

These charges stem from an incident that occurred on Nov. 17. Police said Dina negligently shot another hunter and then lied to police about hiding his musket. Dina also purposefully miscounted the sequence of events that occurred before the shooting.

South Windsor man charged after shooting hunter and lying about incident

ML season is in December. Generally when someone is hunting with a ML in the regular rifle season it is because they are prohibited from owning, possessing, or using a firearm.
1st, let me say thank you for the additional news story links.

However, while I have often thought some if the questions I've seen asked here were being asked but someone as you describe, unable to legally own a firearm so taking advantage of the muzzleloader loophole,,,,, I really don't think that "most" are hunting with out muzzleloader during the the regular, shotgun, season for that reason. Some of us just prefer it. There is no public land regular rifle season here in Connecticut.

Regardless,,,, this old man screwed up big time, I hope his entire club doesn't pay the price.

1st, let me say thank you for the additional news story links.

However, while I have often thought some if the questions I've seen asked here were being asked but someone as you describe, unable to legally own a firearm so taking advantage of the muzzleloader loophole,,,,, I really don't think that "most" are hunting with out muzzleloader during the the regular, shotgun, season for that reason. Some of us just prefer it. There is no public land regular rifle season here in Connecticut.

Regardless,,,, this old man screwed up big time, I hope his entire club doesn't pay the price.
Agreed, most was a poor choice of wording. I am seeing it more and more here across your northern border which has become the land of the “misdafelony“ (misdemeanors with a 2-/12 year possible prison term)

I mentioned the rifle season as they seemed to be hunting on private ground at some club……yet he was shooting “pellets”.

Unfortunately, much of the reporting, here and today, leaves much to be desired when it comes to factual coherent information these days.

Bob

To my knowedge , this note could be of the first known , self inflicted flintlock rifle death in modern times , in the newley began , 1972 Pa. flintlock deer hunting season. A m/l hunter built a wooden tree stand platform. He got into the stand , and began to pull his loaded flint rifle up on a rope , muzzle first. As knowledgable flint lock user knows , if a lock hammer is pulled out of the safety notch , and the hammer falls foreward , the lock will make spark , and fire the rifle , automatically. This hunter made a couple of mistakes costing him his life. The first mistake was , hoisting a loaded gun , especially a flintlock rifle , muzzle first , up into a stand. A simple rope ,or cloth rifle sling , over his shoulder , would have been better with the muzzle controlled safely upward. If the ball didn't kil him , the 20 ft. fall from the tree would have. Mismanaged rifles , and old wooden tree stands , are deadly.

In 1982 I took my 13 year old son to our hunting lease for a deer hunt. I put up two tree stands side by side and sat with him. He saw movement off to our right in heavy cover and I stopped him from raising the gun. It turned out to be another club member and his wife dragging a deer out WITHOUT ANY BLAZE ORANGE ON! Thank God I was there. I chewed the club member out and he became very defensive.

Didn't need a hunter safety course in Pa when I started hunting it came a couple years later. I never thought it was worth the time and effort. My father in law and I finally took the class when I was 37 so we could hunt out west. It was very worthwhile one can always learn something even after hunting for 25 years. As a hunting accident victim where the shooter failed to to make effort to identify his target hunter safety can't be stressed enough. I am a firm believer.

Back