• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdah Hunters Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobowonkanobe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a bit of an oddball, as it's a cap lock, a smooth bore (20 ga) AND a pistol. Makes it kinda confusing as to where to post questions, but...
suggested load from Perdisoli is 25 gr 2FF... but nothing in ref at the time to lead. RB is obvious, but I have never loaded shot before and dont wanna over do it. I did order a basic shot dipper in 1 oz and 1 7/8 oz loads. Which wld be better for a 25 gr charge and when wld be a good time to up the weight of lead? 50 gr 2FF? More?

I had a pair of .64 smoothbore pistols. I found that 35 grains of 2F was a pretty stout load. The usual wisdom with shot loads is to use the same measure for both shot and powder. With buckshot I would probably go with 5 or 6. You will need over powder wads and over shot wads to make it work.

Many Klatch

yeah, got all that when I ordered the pistol. The over charge wad, cushion and over shot wad.
Thanks for the heads up, I posted this orig on the smooth bore page but it got moved cuz its a capper

I think 3/4 oz to 1 oz shot loads are considered as full loads for a 20 guage shot gun so I'm not sure what your going to do with your 1 7/8 oz dipper.

A .620 (close to 20 guage) diameter ball would weigh about 357 grains if it were lead so I would think a shot load about the same would work pretty good. That would be a little over 3/4 oz.

The Howdah, being a pistol would probably be quite happy with a 25-35 grain powder load but to prevent damage to the gun or your wrist it might be unwise to go much over that.

I have one of these beasts and have shot PRB with 50gr Ffg and shot loads of 50gr by measure of shot and powder,Tried a 60gr shot and powder measure but it was ummmmmmmm a little stiff :redface: Now I'm not @ all recoil shy as I regularly shoot a 460 S&W hand cannon :shocked2: My concern was the punishment the pretty Howdah was absorbing and didn't want to do to it what I did to my hawken pistol many years ago (split stock) with a 70gr ffg load and a TC maxiball :doh: :shocked2: Based on all that I recomend a 50/50 load as max for shot and 40-50gr max for PRB.Mine shoots pretty good out to 25yrd after a lot of load tinkering...just remember she has no rear sight and make smoke!!!!

Hobo: Those Pedersoli Howdahs are simply shortened versions of their 20 gauge shotgun. Any load safe in the full sized shottie should be safe in the Howdah. That is not to say that such a load would be practical or comfortable to shoot.

I figged as much. I was actually more curious as to how much shot wld be too much for any said charge. Granted, wi 50 to 100 Gr 2FF, you cld probably move a motorcycle batter down yer barrel, Not hat I have ANY interest in going to those extremes.
\ But no, I was simply wondering if I shld use the shot dipper full and if so, what charge of 2FF wld possibly be too small.

I've been watching this for awhile just to see how it goes, and it looks like common sence is ruling the day.

There's an old adage with shot in Ml's;

"Less powder more lead,
Shoot's further, kills dead"

It's about getting a tight group of shot down range so that the majority of shot hit's the target.
Shot charge development usually begin with equal parts powder an shot, then as the load is patterened down range, the two measurements (shot/powder) get changed to get the best group with velocity.
(and too much velocity opens the group)

FWIW, A good group doesn't need to be real heavy with either the powder or shot. My best clay busting 20ga set-up is 50grns of powder and the same measure set to 60 for the shot, the shot charge is under an ounce, :wink:

A word of caution. I am not sure if you know this bit of information about the loading of shot in your pistol. The problem occurs when shot is accidentally dropped down the ramrod channel. It can find its way into the lock and cause damage when the lock is cycled. I have heard of a broken spring caused by this. One solution is to examine your pistol and see if any shot can find its way into the lock and then plug the hole if possible. Another solution is to never make a mistake while loading, (something that I have not yet mastered). :redface: Good luck and have fun shooting your new pistol.

OK, just took it to the range yesterday. Had a hoot. Never loaded a smooth-bore before, so when I accidentally seated the .595 rb w/ my thumb... I'll admit it, I giggled. Had a food time with a buddy shooting this and my 1803 Harpers Ferry, and am home and cleaning... till I went to break down the Howdah; it's a wedged fore stock, easy peasy, right? Nope. I can not for the life of me get the bloody wedge out. Is there some forgotten pledge to heathen Gods I need to recite?

If you must call to a heathen god, let it be the god of wedges.

Then, with tools and pistol in hand say:

"The wedge is tight.
The wedge is firm.
But from this task
I shall not squirm.

With trusty drift,
Placed rightly so
And mallet held to strike a blow
With downward force of might and speed
The wedge shall move to fill my need."

WHACK!

It will help to squeeze the barrel down into the stocks barrel channel, and if the barrels tang has a screw loosen it while doing all of this. :grin:

Back