• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How you clean pan & frizzen?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those that hunt: after taking a shot, how do you clean the pan, frizzen, & vent?
I am curious if many people use those pan brushes you see sold with "flintlock tool kits", or if you use a damp rag, or some other tool.

I use this brush on the thong attached to my primer horn. If really bad I'll use a cleaning patch.
20231215_125006.jpg

After only one shot?? I reload, prime and am ready for a finishing shot if needed...

Go to the range, see how many shots you can take without doing anything different...Take a range rod just in case your final load is too tight to ram down with your ramrod...What I do is have the first 2 balls patched with .018 patching and a .530 ball...The 2nd two are .526 balls and .015 patches...Accuracy is fine for hunting or in case a 2nd or 3rd shot is needed to finish an animal...

For those that hunt: after taking a shot, how do you clean the pan, frizzen, & vent?
I am curious if many people use those pan brushes you see sold with "flintlock tool kits", or if you use a damp rag, or some other tool.
You dont have to . Clean it later when you clean the whole firearm... I'll occasionally wipe the frizzen with my thumb when at the range ..., just a good second nature habit to get into ....works good .

You dont have to . Clean it later when you clean the whole firearm... I'll occasionally wipe the frizzen with my thumb when at the range ..., just a good second nature habit to get into ....works good .
at the range I don't have to. But hunting in humid conditions the fouling residue will draw water out of the air and contaminate the priming charge. This takes time, so when you're shooting within a few seconds after priming I don't need to clean. But when it can be hours before taking the next shot, such as while hunting, there will be plenty of time for the fouling to draw out the moisture.

Oke
at the range I don't have to. But hunting in humid conditions the fouling residue will draw water out of the air and contaminate the priming charge. This takes time, so when you're shooting within a few seconds after priming I don't need to clean. But when it can be hours before taking the next shot, such as while hunting, there will be plenty of time for the fouling to draw out the moisture.
Okeydoke ...just wipe out the pan with yer shirt or a piece of patching cloth then ....Ive never seen it a problem hunting but I guess ive never hunted in Florida before ! LOL ... Best of luck.

I use this brush on the thong attached to my primer horn. If really bad I'll use a cleaning patch.
Do you find that the softer bristle brush adequately cleans the pan?
I've tried lots of different things except a brush. I don't like using a cleaning patch because they are a pain to dig out of my bag with cold fingers. Plus I can never really get to all the nooks and crannies with my fat fingers.

I'm talking really cleaning the pan. As in, it is a very humid day and you just shot, now you reloaded but need a clean pan because you don't know how soon you'll be taking the next shot.

Once you fire your gun , or sometimes in damp /humid conditions , I have changed priming powder once in an hour or two , as insurance the flint gun willfire perfectly. For a pan brush , cut a tooth brush handle to about 2 " , so it is a handy length in yur shot pouch. I always wipe the pan out with some dry cloth after the tooth brush , unless all is dry to start with. At the range , it's just the brush.

With all my .62 I wipe the pan with the next .016"patch I will use and grease the clean side before ramming it down dirt facing the .595 bullet and like nshawkeye habit after a couple shots I will use a .570 ball. I pick the flash hole and load the pan. On a hunt there is no time to search at gizmos...

Last edited:
Testing after 100 shots without cleaning. Clean after shooting provided you have a good lock.
IMG_2023-11-28-14-29-15-882.jpg

Usually too humid,,, even when frigid cold,,, here to not wipe the pan clean after a shot. At the range I use an alcohol swab, in the field if I don't feel the need to be reloaded quickly I use the same, otherwise any bit of cloth, shirt tail, corner of sleeve, piece of rag tucked in my belt or tied to my shot pouch strap for the purpose.....
Having a bit of rag, even one of those small commercially available red "shop rags" handy is generally a good thing I find. Pan needs wiping, hands get dirty, knife blade needs wiping....

The only time I use a pan brush is when sweeping out dry unused priming powder when unloading if I didn't take a shot while out. I haven't found them sufficiently stiff and abrasive enough to do a good job cleaning burnt powder residue.
Fresh, commercially made, black powder (3f and coarser) doesn't absorb moisture from the air,,,, burnt powder residue does,,, a clean pan while in the field is a good thing.

We need to have an emoji for threads where people are trying very hard to just over complicate shooting a ML.

Every time someone comes up with these we could just post the emoji, I propose this one.
:dunno:

There was a time in our history when people actually lived and died depending upon whether their ML went off when it was supposed to or not and they did not wipe between shots with or without windshield wiper fluid or carry plastic bottles with alcohol wipes to wipe their frizzen.

If you try for simplicity, you might be surprised that you do not need half the stuff in your pouch and what your dragging to the range.

Rant over.

Back