• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to load a shotgun - 1783

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, a pudding bag was used to cook puddings back in the day. The puddings were round like a cannon ball. So a pudding bag shot pouch would be a spherical leather bag. I have seen paintings and engravings of hunters from this time period with small round bags hung at their waist.

The next thing to come up with is the brass nozzle. The Irish style shot charger that Dixie sells http://www.dixiegunworks.com/popup_image.php?pID=7867 comes close but pictures of Irish chargers from the period don't seem to have the spring loaded gate off to one side.

I have been trying to rustle up some brass parts that will fit tightly inside of each other so I can build one for myself. I was thinking maybe a brass 12 ga shotgun shell and a brass 16 ga shell might fit tight enough.

Many Klatch

Last edited by a moderator:
Klatch,

Pm me your email and i will try to send you a quick pic of the older style head with the scoop out of it so you can see the spring setup

MK: Thanbks. I happen to have 16 and 12 gauge brass shotshells at hand if you need a pair.
The pudding bag puch must be simply an interpretation of the shape; everything I can find on actual pudding bags says they were one square yard of linen, well cleaned.

:hmm:

My wife still makes xmass puddings in the bag , yes the cloth is usualy calico about 2 ft square , the mixture is placed in the center of the cloth which is then pulled up around the mixture into a ball shape and tied off with string. It would be possible to make bages of shot like this but it would be fidley making them to suite a 12 or 20 bore .

So we are talking about a 1 or 2 foot square piece of lightweight leather or heavy canvas, gathered up and tied around the base of a brass shot nozzle then. It could have gores cut out and sewed up to make it smoother, but you would really have to make sure of the seams.

Many Klatch

Bill, how close do they fit inside one another? Do you think that would work?

Many Klatch

Not so much constructed in the same manner as a pudding bag but having the similar blivitous look of same. A picture has been sent to you of one Many Klatch

Just checked the complete series of Morier's paintings there is only the 2 stalls in your post, none of the others show any trace of stalls. In fact shearches of equipment lists still show no stalls at all anywhere , it has been sujested that the painting in question was finished in studio at a later date . :idunno:

-77-
(August 28, 1762)
LIEUT. ALEXANDER 3AILLIE TO COL. HENRY BOUQUET
[3. 11., Add. MSS. 21648, f. 341, A. D. S.J
Return of the Weight of the Cloathing, Arms, Accoutrements,
Airjr.unition, Provision, Necessary's &C? of a S
upon a March.
Weight
Ibs.
A Regimental Coat, with Hooks, Eyes, frc?- - - - - 5.
Waistcoat ------------- 2.
Pair of Breeches ---------- 1.
Hat with 1
cockade, Button, Loop, & Hair Stringj 1.
A Shirt with Sleeve Buttons ----------- 1.
A Stock with a Buckle.
A Pair Knee Buckles.
A Pair Stocking & Garters,
A Pair Shoes vdth Buckles ------------ 1.
A Regimental Firelock, with a
Sling & Buckle f 11.
Hammer Cap & Stopper]
h. Waist Belt with a Buckle - - - -
H Hanger, Sword Knot, and Scabbcrd -------- 2.
A Bayonet and Scabbord -------------- l.
A Tomahawk, and Cover ---- Bill

Yes I have since found some more imfo they apear to have been popular with some officers serving in America and state milita units , Washington loved them .Experienced British troops couldn't wait to loose them it was seamingly worth being charged for them out of their stoppages, ( an unneccary pestelence ) :)

Latest posts

Back