• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to find a Hickory rod w/brass 10-32 tip for a .36 flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apparently there are no manufactured .25-.32 hickory rods with brass 10-32 tips available in the industry. Lots of 5/16" brass tips, but too tight for the .36. I can sand down a 5/16" hickory rod...but how to harden the tip to load the .36 ball? Looking for options, thanks folks.

Kibler could sell a hickory rod that comes with his 32 SMR kits. It will require sanding. It is 8x32 TPI. If that bothers you you can tap it out to 10x32TPI. I make all my own jags to fit my bulk cleaning patches. I do not know what you can buy.

Instead of using a hickory rod at he range, I made a 1/4" steel rod with guide and brass tip.

It's been years but I once ordered a batch of hickory ramrod blanks. Not really blanks exactly because they had the brass tips already on them. However they required cutting to length, tapering and sanding. They're out there.

Yes. I tried all the vendors I am aware of including TOW. Nada. I do use a stainless rod at the range; however I use wood rods afield. Thanks for your replies!

Track of the Wolf has what you're looking for. I bought several 5/16" the other day for originals I'm working on. Just sand them to fit your thimbles if too large. They all had a 10-32 brass tip and the other end you just cut to length. Two lengths: 48" and 36". The brass end is concave to fit a ball when loading.

And 5/16" is to big for a .36 cal? Are you sure? I just dropped one of the rods I bought from track down my .360" combination gun and it hit the breechplug with no issue.

Apparently there are no manufactured .25-.32 hickory rods with brass 10-32 tips available in the industry. Lots of 5/16" brass tips, but too tight for the .36. I can sand down a 5/16" hickory rod...but how to harden the tip to load the .36 ball? Looking for options, thanks folks.
Going back and reading this again, I guess I'm not understanding your post.

There may not be any .36 caliber ramrods already made up, but there is other options. Two weeks ago I bought two 5/16" tips with 10-32 threads and a hickory ramrod from TOTW for my .32 caliber Crockett Rifle. The 5/16" tip goes down the barrel just fine. The hickory ramrod I simply sanded down to a snug fit inside the the tip. I chucked it in my drill and used sandpaper to do this. Then I used a roll pin and epoxy to secure it.

The tip is plenty hard enough to load anything. I've been using mine a fair amount while out squirrel hunting with nary a problem.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP here. I had purchased a 5/16 hickory rod from TOW with brass 10-32 tip for my frontier .36 w/39"bbl. I did sand down the rod, not a problem, but the tip is too close a fit in my .36 bore...if aligned properly it can be carefully worked down the bore...but there is enough drive to get the ball down with a wooden rod using short strokes, without fighting a tight 5/16 tip...especially difficult if there is any least bit of residue in the bore.

My Pedersoli Frontier .36 factory rod is a perfect size...it is 9/32" (.28125" or 7.14mm) from brass 10-32 tip to rod...but it is not good hickory. It sits below the bbl for looks only.

ETIP (post 13 above), I cannot imagine a 5/16" (.313) brass tip easily going down a .32 rifled (.031") barrel, but that is only my imagination !

Does anyone know where to obtain a 9/32" hickory rod w/ a 10-32 tip?? I presently use a 22 stainless 46" bench rod with plastic bore protector sleeve for loading, cleaning, wiping. Works great, but that is not a practical field ramrod!

flconch53, I may ultimately take you up on your offer! Thanks, Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me like you have a 9mm rod instead of a 5/16”. Did you order the rod to specifically fit your pedersoli? Because they use a 9mm or .356” rod. I bought one of these from DGW when I had my .36 frontier, and ran into the exact same binding issue you are describing. I had to. sand the brass end for clearance with the bore. It stinks because a 5/16 rod will fit the bore nicely, but is loose in the thimbles.

I made a 5/16” loading rod with two tips and a 5/16” hickory rod purchased from Track of the Wolf. I made it for my 32 caliber Crockett. Took a little sanding and finishing but it works just fine. Would be just fine for a 36 cal I would think.

Again 5/16 = .3125”

SR1

Back