• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to clean out lead contaminated(?) cast iron

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when used cast iron is found, yard sales or elseware, how can you tell if it has been used for melting lead,,,,is it safe to use second hand cast iron??????? :: :: :: ::

They have those lead test kits at the hardware store. They MIGHT work for this application. I DO NOT KNOW THIS FOR A FACT, CHECK FOR YOURSELF. The local Health Department may also be able to help. Lead is not a toxin to be trifled with, as it is cumulative. Spend a couple of extra bucks and buy new.
Black Hand

when used cast iron is found, yard sales or elseware, how can you tell if it has been used for melting lead,,,,is it safe to use second hand cast iron??????? :: :: :: ::

Usually you can tell, based on the condition. I have restored a bunch of it by sanblasting. There is no way to tell for sure if lead was ever melted in it!

I like to throw cast iron in a real hot fire upside down. Then once it cools, it gets sand blasted then re-seasoned. This method would probably render it safe.

Mule

I am still alive :crackup:

I am still alive :crackup:

Yup, but just take a look at his avatar!

My suggestion is drill some 1/4 inch holes in the bottom and make it into a planter. Not worth the risk, cast iron is cheap enough to replace. PM me and send me a photo and I'll see what I come across, there's a good deal of cast iron that pops up cheap here abouts.

Just :m2c:

<<<There is no way to tell for sure if lead was ever melted in it!>>>

Actually, there is a commercially made lead test strip available from most hardward stores. From what I am told, this will read positive under the circumstances that you describe.

Try it on yours and let us know.

<<<This method would probably render it safe.>>>

Probably is not good enough for me -- I need what few brain cells that I have not murdered already! I would not trust to any method without objective testing.

CS

this might not make sense to you, but,,,, I use to clean out my gutters while standing on the top step of my step ladder, was really wobbly, while cleaning the gutters one day I got to thinking if I fell I would spend a lot more in the hospital, and out of work costs than what an extension ladder would cost, went and bought me an extension ladder. flinch

seems to me I remember that the lead threat was primarily dangerous to the DEVELOPING minds of CHILDREN. Now, most, if not all of y'all on here might have brains that are past that point, so unless you're feeding kids or preggo wenches, you're probably alright to just inspect it for obvious signs of lead, and do a good cleaning, then go on ahead with your planned uses. :thumbsup:

Old Virginia Joe said:
seems to me I remember that the lead threat was primarily dangerous to the DEVELOPING minds of CHILDREN. Now, most, if not all of y'all on here might have brains that are past that point, so unless you're feeding kids or preggo wenches, you're probably alright to just inspect it for obvious signs of lead, and do a good cleaning, then go on ahead with your planned uses. :thumbsup:
Lead can be deadly to adults also, especially in high velocity ball or Minie-ball form....... :idunno:

Owenbrau said:
Again, why bother? Is the risk really worth the trouble and expense, when a new one isn't that expensive? And even if you are willing to take that risk for yourself, are you willing to do so for every person that might eat from that pot?

Agree. Risk too great. Mine will get treated with a sledge hammer when casting days are finished.

None of us can be certain of the old cast iron we purchase. For years we simply cleaned it seasoned it and used it, without question. I have used cast iron to melt lead, but only the really cheap stuff from Asia with the lathe marks inside. I filed three notches on the edge to make sure I would know.

Absolutely DO NOT PUT ANY FOOD ITEMS IN THAT POT!!! It has been ruined forever as a cooking pot. Heating it up over a fire will possibly change the lead that has contaminated the bottom into lead oxide and that is toxic, too. You could use it for non-food use but what about sometime in the future if someone other than you gets the pot and decides to use it for cooking food? What if that someone is one of your kids? The best thing to do is to make the pot unusable such as doing as one of the others on this thread said and drill a hole in the bottom and use it as a planter. If that isn't something you want to do, take a sledge hammer to it and toss the pieces in the trash. Whatever you do, make sure it is never used for cooking food.

mark it as your lead melting pot, advise family members who may use it in your absence, buy a new pot to cook in. instruct reliable family member to destroy the lead pot upon your demise, or at the least drill holes in the bottom as earlier reccomended.

when i was looking for a 80 to 100 gallon kettle i found that AG SUPPLY has some china made ones pretty cheap but i just assumed they would have lead in them so i waited until i could find one cast in america i could afford, any thoughts on how safe to use the china made pots are for cookin?? they are pretty cheap if you live close enough to pick em up and not pay shipping.

creek

Mercury is very effective at removing lead from a metal surface. Half an ounce or an ounce of mercury in the pot or skillet, swirled around thoroughly so it makes good contact with all interior surfaces, will adhere to and remove all of the lead in the skillet.

Of course this brings up a whole new problem, but the lead is gone... :stir:

trent/OH said:
Mercury is very effective at removing lead from a metal surface. Half an ounce or an ounce of mercury in the pot or skillet, swirled around thoroughly so it makes good contact with all interior surfaces, will adhere to and remove all of the lead in the skillet.

Of course this brings up a whole new problem, but the lead is gone... :stir:
Yeah, it's great for cleaning coffee pots also.......... :haha:

Rod L said:
Anybody notice this thread is from 2005? I wonder what the outcome was.

Rod

The original poster has not posted since 9-21-2010. It may be that he ignored the advice re lead poisoning, proceeded to use the pot for food, and .......... :idunno:

historygave us an eat and west roman empire. The west had lead and lots of it .lead pipes for water lead pots lead oxid to sweetincheap wine ect.The east did not,had to make do with potterypipes,pots and honey.The population of the west fell the east staed about the same.West went south in 476.the east stayed around for another 1000 years.I think I would buy a new pot.

I remember walkin thru Manskers Station one time and a lady was cookin a meal in a chamber pot.I was afraid to ask her if she knew what it was.Iam not a picky eater just fussy where I eat. Curt

Latest posts

Back